Someoneyouknow's Reviews > Honey, Baby, Sweetheart

Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti

it was ok

I've read this book several months ago and I didn't particularly enjoy it. The writing style is pretty good, but I had a problem with the characters and the way the author tells her story - like it's a cautionary tale and it should teach teenagers what to avoid in life and how to behave. I absolutely hate it when the author tries to teach the readers a lesson! The moral of this tale is simple : you shouldn't let other people influence you in a bad way, you shouldn't value your boyfriend's opinions more than your family's,love is not always the answer, you should be an honest person, a good daughter, yadda yadda yadda.
My second big problem with this book was all the members of the Book Club and the storyline with Charles and Rose. I mean, it was just plain boring to read about them because I dislike reading about old people and the author wrote like a 100 pages revolving around them!!! What's so interesting about a couple of old geezers who have been in love for 50 years and finally get to meet each other again?
I also felt that the author simply used the characters Ruby and Travis (and her Mom's and Dad's too) to prove several points - i.e. you can't let love take over you completely, some relationships are just not meant to work, you shouldn't be dependent on the person you love or be passive in a relationship, being single is nice too etc.
This is definitely not the worst book I read, the writer has a way with words, but the story was too long and moralizing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honey, Baby, Sweetheart.

Started Reading