Lilia Ford's Reviews > Bliss

Bliss by Lisa Henry

10992009
POSSIBLY SPOILERISH

Well I won't call it perfect, since we now know where that leads, but this is a creepy, brilliant little fable that manages to be fucked up and humane and disturbing and lovely all at once. Its picture of what happens when you violate the human will is unsparing and frightening, but without the gratuitous sadism you sometimes find, which allows the hope that blooms towards the end to feel deep and earned.

I still cannot get over Tate, the way his fierce, unconquerable voice explodes into the story when it's finally set free. But the very fierceness is also what lets the full horror sink in: for what must it have taken to crush that extraordinary will, that love, that fearlessness?

And then comes the line, "you and me, we're not done," which practically made me fall out of my chair.

Bottom Line: Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bliss.

September 7, 2014 – Started Reading
September 7, 2014 – Shelved as: mm-sci-fi
September 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 12, 2014 – Shelved as: review-posted-amazon
October 2, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle-lent

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by M'rella (new) - added it

M'rella Why do I not yet have this book? O.o

off to Kobo.

Thank you for your review, Lilia! Looks amazing!

Reflection Great review, and I so agree with you :D

message 3: by Onyx (last edited Feb 26, 2015 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Onyx ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. (view spoiler)

That was a long question, sorry :)
I <3 Lisa and I'm really tempted to read it, but there's a 50/50 chance it'll make me mad, so...

dilemma.

Lilia Ford Reflection wrote: "Great review, and I so agree with you :D
I've been amazed at the divided opinions on Bliss...seems to be a bit like Marmite - love it or hate it lol"

thank you! btw, I hate marmite--can't even stand the smell!

message 5: by M'rella (new) - added it

M'rella what's marmite?

Lilia Ford Murmurella wrote: "what's marmite?"
isnt' like vegamite?

message 7: by M'rella (new) - added it

M'rella OMG People EAT this? @.@

I am not... I have NEVER.... gross!!!

*runs away*

Lilia Ford Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and stockholm syndrome-y relationships turn into flu..."

I totally get what you're saying, but for a lot of reasons I don't this book fits that pattern. However my reasons do constitute a Massive Spoiler. (view spoiler) I have a thing for creepy Stockholm endings where the main character sort of gives up fighting or is otherwise unable to escape, which is emphatically not the same as a HEA reconciliation where all is forgiven. This story doesn't fit either, but I did like the ending--I'd love to hear what you think if you end up reading it. I have the book available for loan if you want to try it out without buying.

Lilia Ford Murmurella wrote: "OMG People EAT this? @.@

I am not... I have NEVER.... gross!!!

*runs away*"

We should ask Lisa Henry since if memory serves this is emphatically an Australian vice--I mean taste. I remember traveling during college and meeting up with Aussies who would go on and on about how much they missed vegamite, and would shell out obscene amounts of money to buy tiny jars of it in American specialty shops. I got talked into trying it ONCE, I swallowed a pea-sized amount and seriously almost puked--it's HORRIBLE. And I happily eat stuff like sweet breads and tripe (intestines) and even kidneys (no brains however--I'm no zombie).

message 10: by M'rella (new) - added it

M'rella I didn't even know such thing existed until I googled it a few minutes ago.

Kidneys - yum. Tongue - yum. I wont eat tripe tho.
I can say I am very adventurous where the food is concerned, but after reading Marmite/Vegemite ingredients I suddenly feel very protective of my taste buds, thankyouverymuch.

Reflection Lilia wrote: "Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and stockholm syndrome-y relationships ..."

Phew that's a great answer Lilia, my mind was boggling at how to answer Onyx without a massive spoiler....For the record, I liked how their friendship grew (and the events take place over a matter of months rather than years...). I felt the story was compelling because of Rory's horror at his own complicity. At the end of the book neither MC is certain whether they can overcome the trauma but they are willing to try.
Then of course there's the epilogue that casts further light.
I delayed reading because of some negative reviews from people I'm usually in sync with. It didn't work for them, but like Lilia it was an almost perfect read for me. I'd love to know what you think if you take the plunge.

btw I'm not at all keen on Marmite either - although I did try a Nigella recipe using it as a pasta base and it was surprisingly tasty (but not enough to repeat the experiment)!

Lilia Ford I cannot stand tongue--yuck. I consider myself a pretty good eater, but I dislike a few key ingredients, the most important of which is mushrooms, which I loathe. This gives my husband, who is IMHO a very fussy eater and refuses to eat ALL BEANS and LEGUMES, too much room to mock me.

Lilia Ford Reflection wrote: "Lilia wrote: "Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and stockholm syndrome-y ..."

Thank you--I had to think on it a while, especially since it's been a few months since I read the book.

I LOVE NIGELLA! but I will never go near Marmite. Still, I have dreams of finally getting around to making her ham braised in Coca-cola.

Reflection Lilia wrote: "Reflection wrote: "Lilia wrote: "Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and st..."

Yes Nigella rocks, and the ham looks delicious I hope you get to try it sometime. Since we have a veggie household - I'm generally concentrating on her puddings and cocktails. Her Margarita ice-cream is utterly sumptuous :) two of my favourite things combined in one delicious bowl. I'm salivating just thinking about it now haha x

Lilia Ford The book of hers I cook from most is Domestic Goddess--but I just love her writing--she's probably one of my top five among contemporary food writers, and I say that as a total cookbook fanatic.

message 16: by Onyx (new) - rated it 4 stars

Onyx Lilia wrote: "Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and stockholm syndrome-y relationships ..."

Thanks Lilia! I think I will read it... If anything, it'll make me think, and that's always a good response from a book! How does the book loan work?

Lilia Ford Onyx wrote: "Lilia wrote: "Onyx wrote: "ooooook. I have a question. And it's a spoiler. My biggest pet peeve is when unequal relationships, relationships with huge power disparities, and stockholm syndrome-y ..."

if you're on Kindle, I can send it to you via your email address--I think you can keep it for two weeks. Send me a message if you want me to loan it.

message 18: by Onyx (last edited Mar 04, 2015 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Onyx in retrospect I'm even more impressed you answered my spoilery question without giving away the entire book...!!

(^_^)