Margaret's Reviews > The Last of the Doughboys: The Forgotten Generation and Their Forgotten World War

The Last of the Doughboys by Richard Rubin

bookshelves: ending-so-sublime, audiobook, history, ww-1, wheel-a-thon-2-2015

It took me forever to finish this book but it was well worth the effort and time spent. I know that some reviewers complained that the author, Richard Rubin of having put himself too much into the book itself. I have to disagree because after all how does a person keep oneself out of the fantastic story and adventure of finding and interviewing the last remaining veterans of WW 1? I wanted to hear the backstory of how his interest and his own family history piqued his interest and desire to find these veterans and to pursue writing this book, I can't imagine being able to do this without mentioning the journey of such an undertaking. I rather enjoyed hearing about these veterans and how they fared into the 21st century. There isn't a way to include this part of the story without bringing the interviewer and author into the story as well. There, I just had to get that off my shoulders!

I loved hearing about the veterans relating not just their war experiences but how they viewed the world at the turn of the century with the beginnings of the automobile, plane and the radio. One of these men mentioned how that of all the inventions that seems truly amazing is the cell phone, he told the author in 2003! Imagine that! One veteran, Frank Buckles was born in 1901 and remembers seeing for the first time his the automobile at only the age of 3 years old. Stories like these kept my interest and determination to trudge through the endless war details. Well worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Doughboys.

September 7, 2014 – Shelved