Christine Stephens-volante's Reviews > Little Blue and Little Yellow

Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni

F 50x66

‘Little blue and little yellow’, by Leo Lionni, is a children’s picture book, aimed at young children, from Nursery, Reception, up to Year 2. (I think it is also the sort of book older children will turn to for comfort, as an enjoyable old friend. Have it in the shelves in your classroom and see how many older children turn to it for a little relaxing read during free time!)

Delightful simple pages where the characters, a group of children, are presented with blobs of rainbow colours, playing ring-a-ring-a-roses, hide and seek and other playground favourites, showing an integrated mix of children that really is representative of our playgrounds in London and throughout much of the UK.

The premise is brilliant, couldn’t be simpler. Little blue and little yellow are best friends, one day, they hug and hug each other so hard, they turn green.

Overall, I think children could appreciate it at more than one level, they may simply enjoy the simplicity of the little colour blobs and their adventures. It is brilliant the way Lionni’s little blobs of colour seem to take on little personalities, just a hint of movement here and there to show when they’re happy and having fun at play. Then when they’re sad, they cry, they separate from each other and as individuals they become small scattered pieces of themselves. When they ‘pull themselves back together’ they are whole again, but determined to go out and show that they are still who they always were, but must remain best friends, whether green, blue or yellow.

When I first found this I thought it was ‘modern’, ‘groundbreaking’, then I discovered it’s over 50 years old! All the illustrations are blobs of primary colours, and what they make when they mix together. So it teaches children about colour, but it really teaches them about how what colour you are doesn’t matter, and if you love your friend, you love them, no matter if they’re blue or yellow. The story represents a simple analogy that the child and adult will recognise, it expresses acceptance of our differences against intolerance and discrimination.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Blue and Little Yellow.

September 7, 2014 – Started Reading