Emily's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea

Three Cups of Tea by Sarah L. Thomson

May 29, 2010

liked it

I had to read the Young Reader's edition for a book discussion (and I didn't really have time to read the original version either). I thought it was fascinating to learn about the hugely different culture of Islam (something I was already interested in) and I really respected what Greg Mortenson was doing. I liked that he is trying to educate children, especially girls, in order to make necessary changes in the culture itself. Schools would ultimately make a real change in Pakistan and Afghanistan, whereas certain material things don't last or change anything long-term.

However, the Young Reader's edition, rather than making the story more interesting or easier to read, made it dull and almost boring. I don't even know if I would recommend it to a younger kid. It wasn't special, it was just dumbed down. (The only really different part, as far as I could tell, was the interview with Greg's daughter, Amira.)

I definitely plan on reading the adult version of the book. I imagine that, told in his own words, Greg Mortenson's story is much more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

Started Reading