FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean

May 29, 2010

bookshelves: historical, read-in-2010, gender-bender, zaftig-heroine, era-regency-pre-victorian, witty-i-am-not, zzauthor-maclean-sarah
Read from October 17 to 18, 2010

4.5/5 stars. Before I start this review, I will admit that I really enjoyed this book. I definitely look forward to reading more of this author in the future. I am close to giving the book 5 stars from my enjoyment level reading it, but I am not ready to do that. I hate to harp on the negative, but feel I better explain why I docked this book 1/2 a point :)

Here were my issues:
- There was some really fun talk during the intimate scenes... I always love when the hero talks during his seduction. However, with all the build-up, it seemed that the culmination of the scene kind of fell flat. All talk and not enough sizzle in the end? Not sure how to explain it. It's like getting all worked up about something and that saying to yourself -- wait... was that it? Don't get me wrong! There was plenty of sizzling scenes in the book. Especially with the build-up. But, I wanted More. MORE MORE MORE. :)

- Continuing on the theme of sex... the sex scenes were anything but historical. True, I don't mind some hot sex scenes in my books. *impish grin* However, it irked me in one scene where the female confesses to something I doubt many women did in the 1820s. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. I was also a little perturbed by the deflowering scene. I guess I get annoyed because there should be blood and the author just kind of ignored that fact. It was all a little too convenient.

- My biggest gripe, however, lay in the melancholy dialogue that didn't go far enough. There was a couple scenes where I found myself tearing up a little because of the emotional dialogue. There was an amazing amount of emotion building up, and if the author had taken it slightly further I would have actually shed some tears. Instead, whenever those moments came, a couple paragraphs later everything kind of cleared itself up and some more intimate scenes came out. I wish that the author could have explored the emotional scenes further. I think that would have pushed this book to the 'amazing' category if she had.

I still highly recommend this book. True, it's not exactly the most original book in the historical romance category, but it was definitely entertaining and emotionally charged. I believe that a lot of my goodreads friends will really enjoy it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake.

Laura the Highland Hussy oh I so hope you love this one as much as I do!

FlibBityFLooB I've heard really good things about it. Waiting for the weekend to start the book, though. Thought I would likely want to read it all the way through. :)

Laura the Highland Hussy and you're really lucky since Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord comes out on the 26th.
I read it all at once, so you're probably right on that count :)

FlibBityFLooB HEhehe. I planned it that way so I could read the next book right afterwards because I figured I would enjoy it :)

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, smart thinking :)

Lady Heather can't wait for Ten Ways...I hope you like Nine Rules..It is one of my favorite books!

Eastofoz I loved loved loved this book :)

FlibBityFLooB I really enjoyed it, East :) Looking forward to reading the next one about the twin brother in a week or so :)

Eastofoz Same here Flib :D I've already ordered my copy ;)

message 10: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Awesome review, Flib! I've been wanting to read this for a while!!

FlibBityFLooB It was a good book, Angelc. HOpe you enjoy it :)