R.L.'s Reviews > No Man's Nightingale

No Man's Nightingale by Ruth Rendell

12029711

Read 2 times. Last read September 6, 2014.

Wexford is now retired. His life is anything but boring with the incessant chatter of his gossiping house keeper. Burden has taken his position in the police force. There is some tension between these two friends as Burden asks Wexford to be an observer and help on a case that has recently come up. The case is that of the murder of a woman vicar in her home. The woman had some trouble with a few parishioners because of her skin color and because she was using newer translations of the Book of Common Prayer and hymns. When she died she left behind a daughter who was about to turn 18. The daughter does not know who her father is but her mother was going to tell her who it is on her eighteenth birthday. There are other characters in Wexford's life that contribute to the drama. Ruth Rendell is adept at handling all these plots and subplots well. At the end I would have liked a little more about the Sam's family but one can't have everything tied up in a neat little bundle all the time. The central mystery is not cleared up until the end. I was expecting the caged bird to sing but the caged bird dies. (that's not a spoiler.) And Wexford goes back to reading Gibbon's History of the World (I think that was the name of what he was reading throughout the novel.) This was well-done. I would recommend it as I do all of Ruth Rendell's books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Man's Nightingale.

May 28, 2014 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2014 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 5, 2014 –
page 135
46.23% (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading
September 6, 2014 – Shelved
September 6, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2014 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)