Megan's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

May 29, 2010

bookshelves: not-mine-library, fiction

We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a wonderfully unsettling, creepy, and haunting tale. This is a psychological thriller, although not in the modern sense. The flow is more gradual, Shirley Jackson does an excellent job of slowly building the suspense. Not only are the characters amazingly disturbing, but the writing is brilliant.

This novel stayed with me for a long time after I finished it, yet I don’t feel I am able to write an adequate review. Have you ever read a book and loved it, yet you know that you will get more from it with each reading? The first time you read it, you are just blown away … and with each subsequent reading you know the story better and better, so you are able to better appreciate all of the nuances of the writing. That’s how I feel about We Have Always Lived in the Castle. So, at some point in the future I fully expect to read this again, and be able to write something a little more coherent than simply gushing about how kick ass it is ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

May 29, 2010 – Shelved
October 1, 2010 – Shelved as: not-mine-library
October 1, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction
October 1, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy 5 stars huh??? Hmmm, to-be-read pile?!??

Megan It was amazing. I definitely recommend it if you like creepy, disturbing, psychological novels. The pace is a little slow, but I don’t know if that takes away from anything ~ I think modern books are so much faster, so I am used to getting to the action sooner. But here, the slow pace helped with the suspense of the story.