Eugenia (Genie In A Book)'s Reviews > Apple and Rain

Apple and Rain by Sarah Crossan

bookshelves: 2014-release, arc

*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This is my first book that I've read by Sarah Crossan, and it was definitely an impressive one. Filled with alternating moments of sadness and joy, with a well developed main character and storyline that is both emotional and touching - Apple and Rain is beautifully told and has encouraged me to pick up more of this author's work.

After Apollinia Apostolopoulou's (or just simply 'Apple') mother returns after being away for most of her life she has a lot to think about. Since living with her loving, but strict grandmother, choosing to move in again with her mum was a big step which harbored more than she bargained for. Her dad had a new life, the best friend she had was slipping away and when Rain comes into the equation everything gets more complicated. Making tough decisions and trying to take care of herself while being torn between two family members she cared about, this was a book that explores a myriad of issues in a simplistic way which really touches your heart.

Apple was a great character to connect with. Her account of things is honest and what she goes through with having her best friend start to slowly drift from her and learning how to deal with that crush which she had for so long are relatable situations. However, this book goes deeper than that. It looks at her relationship with Rain, which is more complex than most, developing friendship with the boy next door and of course how things turn out with her mum. The poetry element through what she studied in English was a fantastic addition, and the poems which Apple wrote interspersed throughout the story also helped to convey how she felt when she couldn't really tell anyone about it. In all, the writing itself was simplistic but genuine, and I loved being immersed in the story with every sentence.

CONCLUSION

Apple and Rain is a novel that will tug at the heartsrings and make you appreciate the family that you have. I'd definitely recommend it as a poignant story that will surely bring a tear to your eye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apple and Rain.

September 5, 2014 – Started Reading