The other John's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Dec 15, 2007

bookshelves: borrowed, fantasy

I must have been under the Imperious Curse to read this book.* I just spent all of my free time in the the last couple of days plowing through it. With this, the finale of the Harry Potter series, the overall story becomes a full blown epic, a quest that ends in a devastating battle. It's a definite coming of age for young Harry, right before the end. Oh, and there's some snogging, too. Ms. Rowling breaks format, having Harry drop out of school to complete his mission, so we're not treated to another year of feasts and school work and Quidditch matches. In one sense, I was glad to see a fresh setting to the book. But part of me was also missing the "good old days". I suppose it's just like real life, as we burst away from school and only later begin to look back with fondness and appreciation. No matter. One needs only to reread the previous books. Oh, yes, that reminds me. I started reading this series with a small chip on my shoulder. Harry Potter has been so hyped that I was almost hoping to find that the books were lacking, that the popular culture was once again ignoring true quality for something new. This hasn't been the case. The Harry Potter books are good. And this final volume is one that I'd like to one day put on my shelf.
____________
*Note to those who subscribe to the Harry-Potter-is-the-first-step-on-the-path-to-Hell theory: that was a joke. Any obsession to read the book came not from Satanic powers, but rather from my own innate weakness for earthly pleasures, such as reading a good book.
1 like · flag