Anna's Reviews > A Rush of Wings

May 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires, read-2010, spies-agents
Read from September 02 to 05, 2010

I have really mixed feelings about this book.There were things that i really liked and other that really ruined it for me.

First of all this book is quite well written.I mean with so many points of view and narrators for a story not to become a complete mess is quite an accomplish.But still,i kind of lost my track of the story way too many times and that's something i don't like in any book.Especially at the beggining i was constantly thinking "what's going on here???" and although as the story progressed i was left with less questionmarks, up untill the end there were points i was feeling completely lost.But as i said,with so many narrators in a story that's quite understandable and once more i'd like to state that i don't like my books being written from many points of view,it's just not my favourite thing so i might be a little prejudiced towards this fact.

I also liked every single character in this book.I may not like so many narrators but one thing is for sure.If the writer is skilled,then the many points of view help him/her illuminate every aspect of the books' characters.I liked the psychological insight of Dante and E most of all.It was consistent with their story and all those details helped the story to progress more smoothly.

Another think i liked,was the fact that this story is quite original.It's more of a detective-mystery story with some paranormal elements thrown in,something i haven't come across in any book i have read.Vampires and paranormal elements are not a hidden society,nor a fact that many know.They just exist,in plain sight and it's up to you to believe in them or not.

Heather also,is a fabulous character,just the right heroine for this kind of story.She's strong,independent,smart, with empathy,all characteristics that made her the right person to pursue a serial killer trough all this unatural circumstances.Dante,was sexy as hell!!!His troubled past ant the way he dealt with his problems made him even more appealing.And although the romantic element in this book wasn't too strong,the romantic scene between them was among the best i've ever read.It had the right amount of sexiness and tenderness most authors fail to attribute to their sex scenes.

But,although i was totally hooked in the middle of the book,in the last pages i was quite tired.I was tired of the conspiracies and the murder attempts and i just felt that the end should have come about 30 or 50 pages earlier.But maybe that's just me.

To sum it up,it's a book worth reading,due to it's original story and well written scenes but not a book that i was mad about it.I suppose i will read sometime the next books in the series mostly because of the wonderful main characters Phoenix has created.

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rush of Wings.