Patrick's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

bookshelves: books-i-would-blurb

If you've been following me on social media for any amount of time, you probably know that the Last Unicorn is my favorite book.

You also probably know that I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.

So I went into reading this graphic novel with an unfair amount of skepticism. I wasn't just expecting to be irritated by a less-than-true adaptation of my favorite book. I was planning on it. I was pre-irritated.

Much to my surprise, I liked it. The art and the paneling were both complex and lovely. It's very true to the story. The depiction of the characters was just about perfect. The pacing and the story were intact.

Was it perfect? No. But I think it's about as close as you could ever hope to get.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's the best book-to-comic adaptation I've ever read. I'd be delighted if an adaptation of my book turned out this well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

Started Reading
September 5, 2014 – Shelved
September 5, 2014 – Shelved as: books-i-would-blurb
September 5, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin I haven't been reading your blog for very long, but you don't come across as a curmudgeon. You come across as jolly. But it occurs to me that I think I've only seen you in contexts where you were having fun.

Jack I love this graphic novel! I bought it for myself for as a birthday present some time ago. I love the fact that the unicorn looks like the one from the movie, which was a staple in my vcr growing up.

message 3: by Franco (new)

Franco  Santos It's a shame that this book doesn't exist in spanish :-(

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Dunning I was very pleasantly surprised when I read it as well. "The Last Unicorn" was the first fantasy story I was ever exposed to. My mom read it to me while I lay pseudo-dying in a hospital bed. I've read it several times on my own since then. I wish I could get my hands on the copy my mom had with the art from my memories. It had the unicorn running across the cover under a canopy of stylized trees, and the harpy was sitting in one of the trees. The harpy scared the piss out of me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee, I'm curios about your cover so I looked through all the ones here on goodreads. Was it this one? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

Brittany Yep. Completely loved this graphic novel!

message 7: by Vitus (last edited Sep 06, 2014 05:49AM) (new)

Vitus So you are saying that there is some adaptation of your book in process ? :)

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy My daughter JUST checked this out from the library yesterday. I was in awe of the graphic art and the breakout. A huge upgrade from the movie.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Thrower I been here since tha begginin of it all! -spits-

And I'm still here, loyal as it gets!

message 10: by Raje:á字 (new)

Raje:á字 babu It is awesome

message 11: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Lewis Goosebumps o.o
It's so rare for a book-to-anything adaptation to go smoothly. You have me very excited to hunt down this comic, especially now that I found a local (and well-supplied) comic shop that's just a block or so out of the way of my path home.

Donna Farley just reading through now. The artwork is gorgeous, reminiscent of the film, but darker, less broadly comic (the butterfly is a case in point). Can't wait to try this out on the eldest granddaughter.

Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛ I felt exactly the same before reading the graphic novel. The Last Unicorn is also one of my favorite books. I've read it more times that I can count. I was so nervous/excited to read the graphic novel, and I was so surprised at how true to the book it was. And the illustrations were lovely.

message 14: by The (new)

The Distracted Bee Traumatized by cartoon 30 (?) years ago... too soon...

Alexis Johnson It's my favorite book too! Singular book that is. Love the graphic novel and the animated film too.

Gabriela Muñoz González I just love The last unicorn in any format!

message 17: by Scout (new) - added it

Scout I just got this, thanks for the great review!

message 18: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Humphrey Thanks for the review and suggestion, picked this up at my library last week. So good!