Glesnertod's Reviews > A Theology of Liberation

A Theology of Liberation by Gustavo Gutiérrez

May 27, 2010

it was ok

A very difficult read. Long winded at a almost every point. As well, I needed a lot more context for what he was talking about. I needed more stories and concrete examples. I found it very difficult to enjoy. I thought, interestingly, that he was at his best when he was applying liberation theology to individuals living out their faith. The section on God as Creator-Redeemer was excellent. It should have begun where it ended, in providing a framework for poverty. I needed his overall line of thinking to be contrasted to what is wasn't and why it's different. I probably jumped into this too quickly and without any preparation for the context of the Latin American Church in the later half of the 20 century. His assessment of the breakdown of Christendom is ahead of it's time. This is full of really good sections, but I'm lost when it comes to what exactly I am supposed to do having read the book. Very discouraging for me. I need something tangible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Theology of Liberation.

May 27, 2010 – Shelved