Angie's Reviews > An Age of License: A Travelogue

An Age of License by Lucy Knisley

bookshelves: graphic-novel

Synopsis: "Midnight picnics at the Eiffel Tower; wine tastings paired with blowgun lessons; and romance in cafés, cemeteries, and at the Brandenberg Gate--these are just some of New York Times best-selling cartoonist Lucy Knisley's experiences on her 2011 European book tour. An Age of License is both a graphic travelogue and a journal of her trip abroad. Fans of Knisley's food-focused autobiography (French Milk, Relish) savor her mouth-watering drawings and descriptions of culinary delights, seasons with cute cat cameos. But An Age of License is not all kittens and raclette crepes: Knisley's account of her adventures is colored by anxieties about her life and career, depicted with fearlessness, relatability, and honesty, making An Age of License an Eat, Pray, Love for the Girls generation."

My Review: I really love Knisley's style of graphic novels. They are memoirs but include so many different elements that you don't feel like it is someone just needing to vent. I love all the illustrations, and this one had some color pages which were fantastic. I must say I am rather envious of her European trip. The found of course sounds delicious and who wouldn't want to try all those wines. What I really enjoyed about this one is the self discovery journey that while it is her own journey, the questions and discoveries she makes applies to a much broader audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Age of License.

September 4, 2014 – Shelved