Kristen's Reviews > Out of the Shallows

Out of the Shallows by Samantha Young
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Shallows.

Started Reading
July 4, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 4, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Oh man. This is why I skipped the sequel, the 1st book was meh so I didn't want to risk the love for this author

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Amen to this. I love Samantha Young and was really looking forward to this series; it sounded promising. But I couldn't finish the first one and then when I saw the reviews for the second, I knew my decision was right. Shame though, because On Dublin Street is one of my favorites!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren lorenzo Did you like the first book? I wanted to read the first one next week. Now if 2 is that bad I wonder how 1 will be.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) I DNFed too Kristen! :/

message 5: by Mallory (new)

Mallory I'm with you Kristen. I've read both of these books, and I don't even think I rated them. Not out of principle but because I just didn't care. I liked the first one enough, but I don't understand authors who feel the need to add drama and distance to couples just to have another book. For me, she ruined the couple in this book and I just didn't care enough to rate.

Kristen Emily wrote: "Oh man. This is why I skipped the sequel, the 1st book was meh so I didn't want to risk the love for this author"

If you enjoyed the first book, let it be the end of this couple's story. The author really messed things up with this story. It's like she created a whole new heroine in this book. I didn't like her one bit.

Kristen Christine wrote: "Amen to this. I love Samantha Young and was really looking forward to this series; it sounded promising. But I couldn't finish the first one and then when I saw the reviews for the second, I knew m..."

I love this author's contemporary romances but I'm not impressed with her entrance into the new adult genre. I'll just be sticking to her contempts. :)

Kristen Lauren wrote: "Did you like the first book? I wanted to read the first one next week. Now if 2 is that bad I wonder how 1 will be."

I didn't really enjoy the first book (I prefer this author's contemporary romances) but many loved it. It's much better than this one that's for sure. If you're interested, definitely read the first book, but I'd skip this one. :)

Kristen Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "I DNFed too Kristen! :/"

You're review summed up my feelings perfectly, Feifei. I just can't for the life of me figure out why the author wrote this book. It was so unnessary.

Kristen Mallory wrote: "I'm with you Kristen. I've read both of these books, and I don't even think I rated them. Not out of principle but because I just didn't care. I liked the first one enough, but I don't understan..."

I'm with you, Mallory. The first book was okay enough but this one simply ruined everything. It ruined the couple and distoryed the heroine. It didn't even feel like the same character. I just can't figure it out.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I agree with you Kristen. Very few sequels work and I'm glad I didn't invest the time to read this one. I doubt I would have been able to power through the whole book either.

message 12: by Kristen (last edited Sep 04, 2014 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kristen I have no doubt that this book would have rubbed you wrong, too, Lisa. I know some liked it but I know the caliber of writing this author is capable of, and I just can't for the life of me figure out why she wrote this book. It makes no sense. Oh well.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "I have no doubt that this book would have rubbed you wrong, too, Lisa. I know some liked it but I know the caliber of writing this author is capable of, and I just can't for the life of me figure o..."

Unfortunately I think we are seeing it a lot lately. When a book gets an overwhelming positive following the author might feel the pressure (or desire) to put out another book to continue with the story with the characters that so many people have come to love. Unfortunately I think it's rare that this plan works. That's just my opinion though :)

Kristen Lisa wrote: "Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "I have no doubt that this book would have rubbed you wrong, too, Lisa. I know some liked it but I know the caliber of writing this author is capable of, and I just..."

I agree completely. It's a shame because authors put their heart and soul into their stories and I hate when I see one of them willing to compromise all their hard work in the heat of the moment. The ratings and numbers of sequels pretty much proves most aren't aren't up to par with the first book. ❤️

message 15: by Didi (new)

Didi Couldn't agree with you more, Kristen. This was a huge disappointment, and sadly I won't be continuing.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ oh no...sorry u didnt like it Kristen!

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ So sorry for that Kristen! Series need to go out with a bang. [hugs]

message 18: by Baba (new)

Baba  Sorry this one was a bust, hon!

Have a great Friday! :) xoxox

message 19: by Fil (new) - added it

Fil Sorry this one didn't work for you :(

message 20: by Steph (new)

Steph Patt Bummer :( Sorry this one was a no-go for you.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen Oh..that is too bad Kristen..so sorry to hear that..I was hopeful that this series would be a good one..Sucks to hear it wasn't! Hugs and I hope your next read will be a ton better♥

Kristen Lisa wrote: "Awe, sorry this one missed the mark, hun! ;)"

Thanks Lisa. It definitely missed the mark. ❤️

Kristen Didi wrote: "Couldn't agree with you more, Kristen. This was a huge disappointment, and sadly I won't be continuing."

Yeah. I love this author's contemporary romance but I wasn't impressed with her new adult work. Her books are always angsty but she went overboard with this couple's story. In facts, the author never gave me a reason to believe in them as a couple. I won't be continuing on with this series either. ❤️

Kristen ✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "oh no...sorry u didnt like it Kristen!"

Thank you, sweetie. Oh well. You can't love them all. ❤️❤️❤️

Kristen SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "So sorry for that Kristen! Series need to go out with a bang. [hugs]"

It's okay. You can't love them all. Thank you my sweet friend. ((Hugs))

Kristen Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Sorry this one was a bust, hon!

Have a great Friday! :) xoxox"

Thanks hon. I hope you're having a great weekend! ❤️

Kristen Fil wrote: "Sorry this one didn't work for you :("

It's alright. You can't love them all. Thanks hon! ❤️

Kristen Steph wrote: "Bummer :( Sorry this one was a no-go for you."

Thanks hon. It was definitely a no-go for me. ❤️

Kristen Jen wrote: "Oh..that is too bad Kristen..so sorry to hear that..I was hopeful that this series would be a good one..Sucks to hear it wasn't! Hugs and I hope your next read will be a ton better♥"

Thanks Jen. The first book is good enough but this one was a hot mess. It was overkill. :)

message 30: by Ingie (new)

Ingie I have realized that I am not a follow-up sequel book reader. Most often I don't feel at all that it is especially enjoying or exciting to read the sequel. I almost regret I didn't content myself with the HEA and good feel I already had in the first book. So nowadays I usually try to just ignore them. Sometimes it feel almost like a way to suck more money out of a success. :)

Kristen I'm feel the same way, Ingela. If a book has a cliffhanger, I won't read it. If it has a "happy for now" ending, I'll read it but I usually stay away from the sequel. They usually don't have enough storyline so the author ends up resort to over the top drama to fill the pages. :)

message 32: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph :(

I love Samantha Young! I avoided the first one because I'm not into NA. Thank goodness.

Kristen I really like this author, too. I prefer her contemporary romances to her New Adult. Too much drama with not enough substance. This book should have never been written. It wasn't needed.

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Oh No!!
So sorry this one was disappointing for you!
I loved the first book.
Been putting this one off because of all the negative reviews.
xoxoxo

Kristen Thanks Patty. Don't bother reading this one. The first book ended good and the heroine's wishy washy behavior in this one just ruins the love story. xoxo

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog I know that's why I haven't read it. I LOVED book 1.
Totally could have ended the story with book 1.
Thank you for the heads up. :)

message 37: by Geri Reads (new)

Geri Reads I actually loved the first one but I heard that this book sort of regressed. I don't want to ruin the first book, so I'm staying clear.

Kristen Don't waste your time with this book, Geri. The first book ends in a good place and this book will just ruin their relationship for you. It's not worth it. ❤️