Seemita's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

bookshelves: for_legacy, favorites, nobel-laureates, fiction, latin-america, me, romance, singing_words, translated, cult
Recommended for: lovers who hang on.
Read 3 times. Last read November 27, 2015 to November 29, 2015.

When glistening drops of dew swivelled across the leaves,
When hazy films of sun lifted their candid veils;
When morning spring walked the aisle of the autumn road,
I saw a face whose reflection, since years, I have behold.

In envious vanity, she swayed her hair,
In rapturous youth, she erred everywhere;
But stoic her nod was to my pure passion
Which sent me blazing waves of heartburn.

Running behind her, became my moral;
Worshipping her being, was a religion;
In those auburn eyes, my heart would lie still
And yet it would flutter, like about to begin.

A feeling so full, like a maniac I would cling,
It reduced to nothingness, every other thing;
Exquisitely wrapped, as beautiful as one can be
Convinced I was, she was born for me.

Alas! Confession lost breath in a wave of condescension;
But my knees found strength even in that repudiation;
For I never lost my heart as per a plan,
For I never sang a song as a sound man.

Delusional, I wandered into many seductive doors;
Recluse, I made love, with artifice galore.
She glided in the sea of my eyes, like a white swan
Even though she fell into another man’s arm.

Awareness of her otherness came to my ears
Like a winter breeze, cold enough to bear.
So I let it freeze, a corner of my world
And see it melt again in my ardent words;
The words that I blew like clouds in the light,
The words that I hid in the blanket at night,
The words which stood at the threshold of age,
The words that could soon be a magical adage.

In another world, she continued to sew;
Stitching pieces which kept falling due;
She held her resolve, all through though,
Loyalty was her brightest bow.

Seasons dropped, and soared again
Leaving behind many a spring and rain;
Each saying goodbye never without
Her fragrant memory kissing my mouth.

One fine day, I sampled my hands, and pulled the skin off my face;
They succumbed to my pull; the mirror flagged the twilight of my race.
Hastily I knocked at my heart, placing a trembling hand in thrill;
A lovely cooing filled my senses; the bird of love was singing still.

I stepped on that trail again, there was no time to lose;
The ache within was poised to be smeared in love, profuse.
She had, at last, taken the path that had led her to me;
She had, at last, taken the baton to set her heart free.

The ship which carried her, stood wavering near the dock;
As if even that inanimate was drunk under her lock.
Time had robbed her of some shine and gifted her some fatigue too;
In the folds of her sagging skin but, I finally found I was who.

The twinkle from her eyes aimed for my heart;
And joined it with hers while tearing it apart.
Most of the sailors and the marine men stood chuckling at the sight
Of the passionate embrace of two old people, holding on so tight.
But only few eyes could detect a current so resplendent
That bound the two vagabonds into a promise, to be kept.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.

Quotes Seemita Liked

Gabriel García Márquez
“Humanity, like armies in the field, advances at the speed of the slowest.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“Be calm. God awaits you at the door.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“He was still too young to know that the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“The only regret I will have in dying is if it is not for love.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“Nothing resembles a person as much as the way he dies.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“But when a woman decides to sleep with a man, there is no wall she will not scale, no fortress she will not destroy, no moral consideration she will not ignore at its very root: there is no God worth worrying about.”

Gabriel García Márquez
“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.”
Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)

Ilse Hats off, really wonderful, Seemita!

message 2: by Pradnya (new) - added it

Pradnya K. It's simply brilliant, guess I ought to read the book to decipher it's real meaning.. Awesome!

Himanshu Spellbinding words that transcend individual experience of reading this classic and emanate as if through Florentino's wild eyes as he stands trembling, facing the decay of life in Fermina's frosty eyelashes when they stand hugging on that boat surrounded by death(as far as I remember?). Oh the passion! Amazing stuff, Seemita.

Röhan Excellent stuff! My vote for Goodreads Review of the Year.

message 5: by Vessey (new)

Vessey Seemita, I still don't understand why you haven't written your own book. That was one of the most beautiful and moving things I have ever read. Thank you. :)

Dolors "Neither time nor age
can wither the talent that cascades
from the springs of this deluge of poetry and love.
Washed clean! Drowned in bliss! Drenched...
by the pouring words that glisten like pearly raindrops
moist morning dew
on velvety leaves
that whisper to my ear:
Seemita, the poetess, is finally here!"

What an inspiring paean to this magic tale of time and undying love you have presented us with, my dear Seemita!
I had been craving for your words, and so imagine the exhilaration of having my thirst quenched by this undeniable display of your poetic skills.
Elegance, heart and genius converge in your verses, Seemita. I hope you are seriously considering to write your own book because there is too much genius in you to be sealed off within yourself! ;P

message 7: by Junta (new) - added it

Junta I haven't read this yet so I'll leave a proper comment for after I have, but quality writing as usual, Seemita! Love seeing my friends write original reviews.

message 8: by Hanneke (new)

Hanneke Oh, that is just magical, Seemita! So, where is that first book of yours! We will all be members of your fan club!

message 9: by p. (new) - rated it 4 stars

p. Delightful writing, Seemita! I must say I like it way better than the book itself. Congratulations for such a magnificent and literarily palatable work.

Seemita Ilse wrote: "Hats off, really wonderful, Seemita!"

Many thanks, Ilse! Glad you liked it :)

Seemita Pradnya wrote: "It's simply brilliant, guess I ought to read the book to decipher it's real meaning.. Awesome!"

Thank you so much, Pradnya! The book is way, way gorgeous and I cannot recommend it more :)

Seemita Himanshu wrote: "Spellbinding words that transcend individual experience of reading this classic and emanate as if through Florentino's wild eyes as he stands trembling, facing the decay of life in Fermina's frosty..."

You capture that all-encompassing climax with a cinematic aura, Himanshu! So, you do remember the book well. A very passionate, earnest romance indeed, beguiling sane people into committing love hara-kiri! Thanks a ton for your luminous comment :)

Seemita Rohan wrote: "Excellent stuff! My vote for Goodreads Review of the Year."

Ah! You are too generous, Rohan! But you make me darn happy, especially since I see a sparkling 5 stars against the book from your pen too :))

Seemita Vessy wrote: "Seemita, I still don't understand why you haven't written your own book. That was one of the most beautiful and moving things I have ever read. Thank you. :)"

Delighted to see this review appealing to you, Vessy! I was very moved by this story on my first reading which happened a few years back. Have never given up on it since.

And my book? Well, shall we just say good things make us wait? :)

Seemita Dolors wrote: " "Neither time nor age
can wither the talent that cascades
from the springs of this deluge of poetry and love.
Washed clean! Drowned in bliss! Drenched...
by the pouring words that glisten like pea..."

Oh my! Gosh! That was a gorgeous poetic snippet which only surprised me with its dedication in the concluding line! You flatter, my dear Dolors! But your encouragement is way precious than I can ever express in words. So, thank YOU! Condensing all the emotions running within this work, into a few words is almost like scooping a rippling stream in between palms. But I had to declare my love. (view spoiler) And I am super glad it reached your heart which houses a vast garden of lyrical wisdom :)

And Oh! Don't YOU ask me about my book; I told ya its not happening without you consenting to co-author it! :P

Seemita Junta wrote: "I haven't read this yet so I'll leave a proper comment for after I have, but quality writing as usual, Seemita! Love seeing my friends write original reviews."

Just the right thing to do, Junta. I would be more than glad if this review, in its peripheral avatar, can nudge you towards this work. I would be all ears to your train of thoughts post you voyage! Thank you for leaving your beaming encouragement :)

Seemita Hanneke wrote: "Oh, that is just magical, Seemita! So, where is that first book of yours! We will all be members of your fan club!"

Thank you so much, Hanneke! This book has, time and again, left me in awe. Glad the review resonated with you.

And well, what can I say about my book? I don't know when it will see the light of the day. But with promises like yours, to grant it such readers, I am sure sub-consciously, I will hasten up the decision :)

message 18: by Seemita (last edited Nov 30, 2015 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seemita Poncho wrote: "Delightful writing, Seemita! I must say I like it way better than the book itself. Congratulations for such a magnificent and literarily palatable work."

Thanks a ton, Poncho! That is high praise and your validation uplifts my spirit! This book has stayed with me for over 10 years now. Guess the love shows :)

message 19: by Riku (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riku Sayuj Nice to be seeing more and more of your poetry. Wonderful, sometimes the best response is a heart-felt poem.

message 20: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope No need for hyperbole..

.. simply brilliant...

message 21: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita An impressive review which was a joy to read.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know what that means but your review made me kind of home-sick for the book.

message 23: by Philippe (new)

Philippe Malzieu A true talent

message 24: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Sidharth wrote: "... your review made me kind of home-sick for the book."

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily This is so beautiful, Seemita. Your opening verses pulled me right in, and I couldn't look away until I reached that hard-won, bittersweet conclusion.

Hastily I knocked at my heart, placing a trembling hand in thrill;
A lovely cooing filled my senses; the bird of love was singing still.

message 26: by Florencia (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:45PM) (new) - added it

Florencia There's not much to say, really, when you have the chance of reading such a stunning piece of writing, like yours, Seemita. I must admit that I have this book, at this moment, on my nuh-uh shelf. I know its author a bit, but I honestly thought that this work wasn't for me. But when a book inspires such a magnificent review, filled with nostalgic lines and heartbreaking thoughts, with haunting rimes and the essence of what love must be, then you have to re-evaluate your decision. I did. Who knows what the result might be? Let's give it a chance :P

Parthiban Sekar This is just amazing! Magical!

Seemita Riku wrote: "Nice to be seeing more and more of your poetry. Wonderful, sometimes the best response is a heart-felt poem."

Thanks, Riku! Yeah, this book transcends worlds and assumes an ethereal poetic fervor, every time.

Seemita Kalliope wrote: "No need for hyperbole..

.. simply brilliant..."

Muchas gracias, Kall! Glad the long poem found a home in you.

Seemita Marita wrote: "An impressive review which was a joy to read."

Thanks a bunch for the spirited words, Marita! :) I see this in your TBR pile and would be keen to know your reactions to this unique love story.

Seemita Sidharth wrote: "Wonderful, amazing, excellent, delightful, beautiful, splendid, erudite ... I'm ... oh wait! enchanting ... yes, now I'm out of all good adjectives I know.

I don't know what that means but your re..."

I guess I do know what that home-sickness means. There is no other reason of my returning to this book every now and then; I find a piece of me in it, every time. Ah! That string of sparkling adjectives makes this gloomy day, at once bright! Thank you, Sidharth :)

Seemita Philippe wrote: "A true talent"

Thank you for reading the review and leaving your note of appreciation, Philippe.

Seemita Fionnuala wrote: "Sidharth wrote: "... your review made me kind of home-sick for the book."

Exactly the feeling I had while reading, Seemita. Now I want to read this book again!"

Oh then you must, Fio! It would be wonderful to see a unique Marquez settling on your unique reviewing canvas! Much thanks for that lovely comment :)

rahul When you are moved enough to exude your thoughts into a poem, that says so much and then the poem itself!! To rhyme is so hard and you do it so easily :)

Seemita Lily wrote: "This is so beautiful, Seemita. Your opening verses pulled me right in, and I couldn't look away until I reached that hard-won, bittersweet conclusion.

Hastily I knocked at my heart, placing a tre..."

Thanks for that beaming comment, Lily! I am delighted to see that a few verses stayed with you :) In my reading, this is one of the most beautiful romance novels, despite the decay and epidemic rocking the protagonists' lives.

Seemita Florencia wrote: "There's not much to say, really, when you have the chance of reading such a stunning piece of writing, like yours, Seemita. I must admit that I have this book, at this moment, on my nuh-uh shelf. I..."

A big thanks for reshuffling your shelves to award a chance to this book, Florencia! My work is done! :)) I read this book way too many years back and the indelible mark it left on me was too ominous to be captured in words. The emotions and their voice is all that I locked inside. But I revisited this book, over the idyllic, overcast weekend, 10 years wiser (or so I believe!) and was left with same emotions; a stronger fragrance of bitter almonds perhaps? There was just one way to express my thoughts, one that this story weaves in spellbinding loops - an aching love poem. So, thank you tonnes for giving your nod; my smile just got wider :))

Seemita Parthiban wrote: "This is just amazing! Magical!"

Thank you, Parthiban! Much appreciated :)

Seemita rahul wrote: "When you are moved enough to exude your thoughts into a poem, that says so much and then the poem itself!! To rhyme is so hard and you do it so easily :)"

Moved far and good, rahul! :) Thanks; the poem flowed albeit not without a few bumpy rocks I admit! And I just saw I ended up expressing your way! Wonderful!

rahul Seemita wrote: "rahul wrote: "When you are moved enough to exude your thoughts into a poem, that says so much and then the poem itself!! To rhyme is so hard and you do it so easily :)"

Moved far and good, rahul! ..."

message 40: by Helle (new)

Helle Your words wow me up here at the top of the globe and add a clear and searing light in the midst of all the darkness (that begins at 4 pm). Beautiful, Seemita!

Michael Outstanding! A throwback to glorify in. An obsessive disease made noble. You make that bird sing.

message 42: by Seemita (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seemita rahul wrote: "This love story will take years to understand and seep in. Like the first sip of wine and the last and a life time of experiences in between. A life time of us, loves and losses."

There, you say it all. The beginning, the end and everything in between that we try to comprehend. Yes, this love story has that inflammable quality; almost passing the heat to anyone in proximity.

Seemita Helle wrote: "Your words wow me up here at the top of the globe and add a clear and searing light in the midst of all the darkness (that begins at 4 pm). Beautiful, Seemita!"

Delighted to send in some warmth and light, Helle! Frankly, the review was also a selfish move; I needed to draw some warmth for myself too :)

Seemita Michael wrote: "Outstanding! A throwback to glorify in. An obsessive disease made noble. You make that bird sing."

Thank you, Michael! As you are well aware, the book is replete with that theme - offsetting the decay in favour of vitality. The bird sang, croaked, mumbled and whispered but it never fell silent. And hence, I condoned his rough patches.

message 45: by Steve (new)

Steve This is true art, Seemita. Kudos!

Seemita Steve wrote: "This is true art, Seemita. Kudos!"

Lovely of you to say so, Steve! Thank you :)

message 47: by Ravi (new)

Ravi Gangwani I am also big follower of GGM (after reading his '100 years of solitude')I have the entire collection of his books. But I haven't read this one. Once I read the first page of this which stated 'The scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of his unrequited love' ... Something like that but I was already hooked on the time with other books... but this book is definitely I am going to read after reading your review :) ... Thumbs up :)

Seemita Ravi wrote: "I am also big follower of GGM (after reading his '100 years of solitude')I have the entire collection of his books. But I haven't read this one. Once I read the first page of this which stated 'The..."

Oh yeah, GGM is stellar! His works are lyrical and tugging, expansive and sharp, occasionally cryptic but mostly, hypnotic! I have read few of his works and have been in his fan club since then (more than a decade now!). I am glad you intend to read this one, for like the scent of bitter almonds, I hope this leaves you with a renewed perspective on love and life. And thanks a bunch for the nod, Ravi! :)

message 49: by S.Ach (new) - added it

S.Ach Respect.

Seemita Sujeet wrote: "Respect."

« previous 1