Joe AuBuchon's Reviews > Beginnings: Worlds of Honor 6

Beginnings by David Weber

Sep 03, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: military-sci-fi

I wanted to like this book; I looked forward to reading some of the history of Manticore, Haven, et al. The stories were very uneven. Even the stories by Zahn and Weber were not better than "C+/B-" grade.

The first story, By the Book, by Charles Gannon was difficult to read and had no visible connection to the universe of Honor Harrington. A lot of work for very little, if any, return.

A Call to Arms by Timothy Zahn was a much better story. An early RMN incident involving a mercenary invasion force and Axelrod. I generally enjoy Zahn's stories but this one just didn't seem to flow very well. It was as though he tried to copy Weber's style in describing battle sequences and not quite succeeding.

In Beauty and the Beast Weber tells the story of how Honor's parents met. He pays more attention to Alfred than to Allison and one gets a much better understanding of his character than that of her mother. This is the best story of the lot. However, Allison and Alfred seem to undergo an almost treecat like bonding and I don't remember any of this being alluded to in any of the other Honorverse stories. The idea just doesn't quite seem to fit.

I enjoyed Best Laid Plans. Weber tells the story of Honor/Dances on Clouds and Nimitz/Laughs Brightly. It's a quick and fun read, but . . . There is too much of Stephanie Harrington's character thrust into Honor and the story is missing too many pages. It is too quick, too pat and seems to have been edited to fill a limited space rather than tell the story properly.

Joelle Presby's Obligated Service tells the story of Grayson a Midshipwoman/Ensign from Burdette Steading. It just doesn't seem to gel. Too many people who had no idea about what was really going on and not a clue stick in sight.

If you haven't bought it yet and still want to read Beginnings, wait a few months and browse the used book stores. I read three other books while reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beginnings.

September 3, 2014 – Started Reading