Sophie's Reviews > No-one Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday

No-one Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday by Tracy Bloom

Read 2 times. Last read September 3, 2014 to September 4, 2014.

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

It took me far too long to get around to reading No-One Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday and even longer to write my review for it. I have no idea why because I absolutely loved it! I’ll start by mentioning the cover just because it’s so simple and effective – it’s perfect for the book. I could not put this book down and so I was reading it in public a lot – which then meant I got a lot of people disturbing my reading and asking me questions about the book. Once I’d explained what the book was about and that no it wasn’t a “dirty” book just because it has sex in the title, I did get asked what could be funny about a book where the main character doesn’t know the father of her baby. It’s true that that real life scenario isn’t funny at all but No-One Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday had lots of humour, without making a mockery of the baby situation. More than that, it was sweet and romantic and emotional too, a chaotically entertaining story and a lot of fun.

This book grabbed me from the opening scenes. Ben kind of stole the show for me there and won me over so quickly. He was very funny and the complete bad timing he had with his humour and inappropriate comments was endearing and the highlight of this book for me. His outlook on life was refreshing to read – it wasn’t about instantly changing into the most serious, responsible soon-to-be parent going. His personality and character still always stood out for me so when Katy is reunited with ex-school friend Matthew, and a one-night stand ensues she’s not sure who the dad is, I was thrown for a bit. I loved Ben and yet Matthew was so unlikeable for me. He felt dull and arrogant and I really did have no clue how this book was going to turn out. Even though Katy made a lot of bad decisions, I didn’t dislike her. Everything just kept going wrong and it was very amusing to read. Which leads me quickly on to Ben’s pretty mad friend Braindead (really), who was hilarious. His involvement brought most of my favourite moments in this book. There was also Daniel who added a lot to this book and so many other brilliant characters.

Tracy Bloom’s voice in this book was great to read. She really builds up a vivid picture of every moment in this book and I could imagine every scene so easily, like I was just watching one of those fast-paced, crazy romantic comedy films. Her writing could be so light-hearted and then switch, subtly and perfectly. Writing this review a while on, I can still remember every moment so easily. Chaos did ensue on practically every page, which is what you get when you’re keeping secrets and making mistakes. That just helped make the whole book more memorable, because there were so many events in this book which had me laughing or smiling and I could list a ton of laugh-out-loud moments. Away from the humour and romance, it was the friendship in this book I loved. Characters like Braindead and Daniel seemed so unlike characters I normally warm to but in No-One Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday, I loved them. This book was fantastic read and as it moved towards the end, it got better still until I really didn’t want it to end. This has to be one of my favourite and most memorable books I’ve read this year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No-one Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
September 3, 2014 – Started Reading
page 136
page 203
page 258
September 4, 2014 – Finished Reading
February 7, 2017 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
February 7, 2017 – Shelved as: print-books (Other Paperback Edition)