Michelle's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

liked it
bookshelves: library, 2014, reviewed

One of biggest pet peeves is selfish people. This book is filled with them.

Florentino Ariza falls madly in love with Fermina Daza when they are both young. Her father intervenes, and Fermina marries a wealthy doctor--a practical decision, but she comes to love Juvenal Urbino over the years and they have a solid marriage for the majority of their time together. As marriages go, it is filled with the ups and downs expected in a long-term relationship: loss, grief, betrayal, love, happiness, change, contentment. Through their fifty years of marriage, Florentino Ariza is biding his time through hundreds of love affairs, waiting patiently for Fermina's husband to die so they can be together once again. Yes, you read that correctly. He spends his entire life marking time for the girl he briefly loved in his youth. He is unlikeable and selfish. Terrible consequences happen to others as a result of his affairs, and he seems either not to notice, or not to mind. Either way, I hate him. He wasn't someone I was pulling for or wanted to see triumph in the end.

The saving grace of this book is the absolutely gorgeous writing style. Even though I hated the characters, I loved the writing and could picture the setting. It's a gorgeous book, to be sure, I just didn't feel the romance others rave about.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.

Quotes Michelle Liked

Gabriel García Márquez
“He was still too young to know that the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past.”
Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

Gabriel García Márquez
“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.”
Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

November 14, 2014 –
November 16, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
November 16, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 2, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Michelle A bit of a slow start, but I'm beginning to fall in love with the story.