Alex's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, edelweiss, fairy-tales-myths-retellings, for-review, new-adult, net-galley

Okay, so I admit I was a big fan of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and I love Pride and Prejudice and I was so excited to read this book, I really was - particularly because I had heard it was really good.

Sadly, I had issues with The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet, I think Lizzie's personality didn't always translate well to the book format, she often came off a little wooden and, dare I say it, not quite likable. And I also felt like a lot of her 'personal' diary feel like a research log: informative notes rather than a private, intimate narrative - and let me tell you, I've written both research logs and private diaries, so the difference jumped at me.

As I said, the writing was wooden, like she had sat down and done draft after draft before settling on what was on the page, rather than a more immediate "I'm just pouring my heart out here" style.

That could just be my personal taste though.

Also, I didn't feel like it added to the Vlog's experience because, well, I already knew the source material, I already knew whom Jane, Lizzie and Lydia were supposed to be, so... well, there you go.

On the other hand, I did like Charlotte Wu here, felt like I got to know her a little better. The rest? well, I'm looking forward to the Lydia book coming out this year and all, but for this book in particular...it kind of confirmed that Lizzie doesn't particularly get more interesting the more you get to know her.

I guess I mean to say she didn't surprise me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

September 3, 2014 – Started Reading
September 3, 2014 – Shelved
January 31, 2015 –
page 400
100.0% "Mixed feelings as well."
February 1, 2015 – Finished Reading