Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

May 26, 2010

bookshelves: all-time-favourite
Read 2 times. Last read October 23, 2010 to November 8, 2010.

Wow. I just realized that I had this on my currently-reading shelf for over a year. Well, I read this a long time ago but I was stupid/blind and never moved it to the right shelf...TO THE CUBE OF SHAME!

Anyways, this book made me cry so many times, not going to lie. But there was also rage, anger, frustration and a whole train-full of other emotions riding with it. The characters were so well written that I felt everything the felt, experienced everything they experienced. This book was an intense roller coaster ride.

Face-paced, heart-wrenching, this entire series has got to be on my Favourite of All Time list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

Quotes Stella Liked

Patrick Ness
“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.”

Patrick Ness
“It's not how we fall. It's how we get back up again.”

Patrick Ness
“Do we hate paradise so much we need to make sure it becomes a trash heap?”

Patrick Ness
“His noise is getting quieter, but I can still see it there still-
See how he feels the skin of my hand against his, see how he wants to take it and press it against his mouth, how he wants to breathe in the smell of me and how beautiful I look to him, how strong after all that illness, and how he wants to just lightly touch my neck, just there, and how he wants to take me in his arms and-
"Oh, God," he says, looking away suddenly. "Viola, I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"
But I just put my hand to the back of his neck-
And he says, "Viola-?"
And I pull myself towards him-
And I kiss him.
And it feels like, finally.”

“I’ll find you—

Keep calling for me, Viola—

Cuz here I come.”

Finished Reading
May 26, 2010 – Shelved
October 23, 2010 – Started Reading
October 23, 2010 –
page 6
1.0% "Eeeeeeee~ :3 I. Am. So. Excited."
October 23, 2010 –
December 3, 2010 –
page 248
December 22, 2010 –
page 248
41.13% "This book is so under-rated."
January 22, 2011 –
page 341
April 9, 2011 –
page 425
August 28, 2013 – Shelved as: all-time-favourite

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen There are so many moments in this book that makes me want to scream. (in a good way). Todd and the Mayor...why? How can Todd be so stupid and why is the Mayor so smart?

Emily Rose OMG! That's weird... I'm re-reading that book right now and I'm currently on about page 430!

Emily Rose And I don't think Todd's so stupid. I mean, he makes idiot stupid mistakes but so do so many others. I just think the Mayor's just a twisted freakishly evil genious. And I screamed too. Even on my third go!

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Nice review, Stella. Thank you.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Dustin wrote: "Nice review, Stella. Thank you.

I've read The Knife of Never Letting Go, but I still need to read the others...:("

Thanks Dustin! :)
I love this series so much that I find hard to put words to my emotions. This one is definitely a tear-jerker and was a solid conclusion to the series. I hope you will pick up The Ask and the Answer soon because there was a lot of action in that one and it may well be one of the better second instalment (of a series) I've read.

message 6: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin I should just add the rest of the series. You make it sound good! :D