Debra's Reviews > The Book of Unknown Americans

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-books

Good book about a family that moves to Delaware to seek better educational opportunities for their daughter who suffered a brain injury in Mexico. I did like that toward the end of the book, Maribel's parents finally talk about the accident that caused her brain damage. Both talked about guilt and how their daughter is "not like before."The book also contains testimonials of individuals from various countries who are looking for a better life. Although the testimonials are good, I felt they got in the way of learning more about the two families in this book. I wanted to learn more about Maribel and Mayor. They develop a romance that is sweet but ends in tragedy. Good book. I think it gives an honest portrayal of the immigrant experience. I really liked this quote from the book: “we're the unknown Americans, the ones no one even wants to know, because they've been told they're supposed to be scared of us and because maybe if they did take the time to get to know us, they might realize that we're not that bad, maybe even that we're a lot like them. And who would they hate then?”