Victor Kloss's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Sep 02, 2014

Quite simply, one of the great children's fantasy books. Period.

I don't want to re-hash what has already been said about this incredible story, but I thought a few comments worth mentioning, especially coming from an author writing in a similar genre.

Characterization. Harry Potter is a wonderful example of how character is senior to plot. As incredible as the story is, with a wonderful setting and premise, if they didn't empathize with Harry, nobody would care. If we weren't routing for him from the off, this story would never have been the success it was.

Originality. Yes, there are many things about the story that are original, but Harry Potter is certainly not the first school for wizards, nor will it be the last. From an author's point of view, this just goes to show that you don't have to spend thousands of hours trying to find that one unique idea that nobody has ever thought of. If you have a great set of characters, a solid plot, and a unique spin on a popular idea, that can often be enough.

Age appeal. Put simply, if you like to read, the chances are you'll like Harry Potter. I think a significant reason for this is simply because it's a story everyone can relate to.

I could go on and on about why this book is so good, but suffice to say, J.K. Rowling hit the bulls eye with every element that comprises a classic children's book.

Just my two cents!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

September 2, 2014 – Shelved