Sarah's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

bookshelves: i-had-to-read-this-for-school, english-lit

This is the first book that I have read in months that was actually a required reading, so I was a bit more pressed for time when reading Frankenstein. I had assignments to do while reading, which is something I've not had to do for a while. Does this decrease how much I take away from the experience? Certainly not.

To put it bluntly, I think that this is a well-written, well-thought-out book with an interesting backstory. Mary Shelley's life in itself is very interesting to look at, even if it was tragic for the most part. Understanding where Shelley came from in her life makes the fictional story of Frankenstein that much better in the long run because there are quite a few backhanded references to Shelley's real-life events, including the names of characters (William, the little boy that dies first, is a reference to one of Shelley's children that also died young) and family history.

The basic story goes like this: Victor Frankenstein is a scientist who is borderline obsessed with "natural philosophy"; his obsession leads to the creation of the famous unnamed monster. However, Victor ends up completely abandoning the monster, who then is left to his own devices. A series of bad experiences lead the monster (a more likable guy that Victor, actually) to violent actions, mainly the murders of people close to Victor. Victor swears vengeance, leading to the monster trying to seek out Victor and vice versa.

The novel as a whole really stands out to me, and I have to say that I enjoyed Frankenstein much, much more than I thought I would, simply because I'm not usually a huge fan of the time period of literature. It never seemed too verbose to be legible, stuck to the plot while still having an interesting "frame story" style, and presented characters that I felt strongly about- I loathed Victor, but I loved the monster. All in all, Shelley was just a good writer from what I can ascertain. As I said, the characters really make this novel work, especially the tragic character of the monster and the hypocritical character of Victor.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

September 2, 2014 – Started Reading
September 2, 2014 – Shelved
September 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 9, 2014 –
page 125
45.79% "Very insightful read so far."
September 16, 2014 – Finished Reading