Sankarshan's Reviews > i want 2 do project. tell me wat 2 do.

i want 2 do project. tell me wat 2 do. by Shakthi Kannan

bookshelves: non-fiction, technical-loquacity, want-my-copy

This review is going to be a bit biased. I have worked with Shakthi, seen him mentor new contributors, read about his workshops and sessions and over the years admired the virtues he has brought to the joyful business of software development using Free and Open Source Software model.

The book builds upon his (now famous?) presentation of the same name (available from his site) and adds a lot of the points he talks about. The book uses a lot of examples to illustrate the lessons or, recommendations. And most of these are taken from actual interactions on lists, IRC forums and conversations. Those who are involved in various FOSS communities and spend their time building up new contributors - they can relate to these. The not-so-new contributors can have a good chuckle and the would-be contributors can learn a lot of lessons. Shakthi takes time to talk about Software Engineering, mathematics and all the other things that traditional books on programming don't talk about and programmers often have blog posts on.

If, in a later/newer version, the non-text pieces ie. code-blocks or, email snippets etc can be highlighted in blocks, it would make for easier reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read i want 2 do project. tell me wat 2 do..

Started Reading