Sharon's Reviews > Hopelessly Devoted to You

Hopelessly Devoted to You by Jill Steeples

it was ok
bookshelves: review-copy

Ruby is engaged to Finn, but is afraid to tell him that she wants to call the wedding off. After 10 years, she has fallen out of love with him and feels nothing for him anymore. When she tells him, he gets annoyed and storms out - he loses his footing and has a bad fall.

When he wakes from a coma, he has undergone a complete personality transformation - down to acquiring a different accent. He doesn't remember Ruby breaking up with him, but how can she leave him now?

Wracked by guilt, Ruby sticks by Finn as he recovers, and discovers that she is attracted to the "new" Finn. But what will happen if he ever remembers that she wanted to call the wedding off?

Sigh. I don't want to be insulting, I really don't. But this wasn't my cup of tea at all. It was a quick read, but I didn't really take to the characters. I was suspicious of Laura from the start, even though she wasn't really a major part of the story. I thought there were too many mentions of how sexy his new accent was, and how "Hugh Jackman" it was - it did sound a little like fanfic in some parts. The other thing that annoyed me was the fact that during 3 sex scenes, Ruby says No at the start but Finn talks her round. That's a no-no for me with books. This line, in particular: It'll be fine. We'll be quick. God, you are so beautiful, Ruby. How the hell am I supposed to resist you? - that doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway - it wasn't the worst book I've ever read, and the cover is stunning - it just wasn't for me. It was a quick read, so it would be ideal to pass an hour or two if you want something that doesn't require too much brain power. Thanks to Carina UK and Netgalley for providing a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hopelessly Devoted to You.

September 2, 2014 – Started Reading