Kelly Roll's Reviews > Season of the Dragonflies

Season of the Dragonflies by Sarah Creech

F 50x66

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** This novel had an intriguing premise - one matriarchical family creates a magical perfume and markets it exclusively to promising young women who then become successful via the magical properties of the perfume. I generally love novels with magical realism but this book just didn't work for me.
I think part of the problem for me was that I didn't really connect with any of the women.For the most part they were just bland. I also had problems turning off the logic brain. One of the major plot points hinges on one of the clients threatening to go public and announce that the perfume is the reason for her success. First of all what actress is going to admit that she actually isn't all that talented? Secondly even if they did announce that all their success was due to perfume I don't feel that it would be any different than stating the success was due to a certain diet, or philosophy or... Certainly I doubt anyone would have the perfume analyzed and even if it were why would the women think anything beyond organic ingredients be found?
The second illogical point had to do with Mya running the business. We are told repeatedly how impulsive she is yet these are good qualities for running a company? Willow felt that she had to give the company to her yet never reaches out to her other daughter even though they were supposedly a close knit family? I didn't buy it.
I'm sure others will enjoy this book it just wasn't for me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season of the Dragonflies.

September 1, 2014 – Started Reading
September 1, 2014 – Shelved
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Erica One of the major plot points hinges on one of the clients threatening to go public and announce that the perfume is the reason for her success.

This drove me nuts, too. I could not get past this being the hinge of drama. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was ridiculous.