Kim Aippersbach's Reviews > The Truth of Valor

The Truth of Valor by Tanya Huff

Sep 01, 2014

Possible spoilers to earlier books in the series, though I'll try not to.

When you've got a great universe, a great character, and a great premise, you can write an infinite number of books that are just variations on the same theme, and people will gobble them up. Or, you can decide that character development is more important than sticking to the successful formula and take your character in an entirely new direction. Jim Butcher did it with Harry Dresden (took him 12 books to get there; but he was developing other character arcs, too), and now in Book 5 Tanya Huff takes Torin Kerr out of the Marines.

What??? But that's who she was! Well, yes. So this is going to be a difficult transition for her. And isn't that what we like to see in books? Characters undergoing difficult changes?

You'll dislike this book if what you liked about the other ones was all the soldiering, the command structure, Torin Kerr being a Marine. You'll also dislike it if you are in any way annoyed by romance.

I thought it was great. Torin doesn't have any more Marines to Get Out Alive, but she sure as hell can get Craig Ryder out of the hands of space pirates. (And if you just rolled your eyes, I have to say that these were believable and nasty space pirates: think of the Somalis in that great Tom Hanks movie whose title escapes me. Captain Phillips. We get some pirate POVs, and Huff develops them enough that we start almost empathizing with some of them.)

Huff is still really funny, too. If she decided to continue the adventures of Torin and Craig, I'll be there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth of Valor.

Started Reading