Cara's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

May 25, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, paranormal, male-protagonist, series
Read from December 01 to 09, 2010

While reading this I felt like I was in a dark funk, and that's because Mackie Doyle has been in this kind of funk for almost his whole life. He has never felt like he belongs because he's just a replacement. A replacement that has to keep that a secret at all cost, but that can't last for long can it? His secret is jeoparized when Tate's little sister is thought to be dead, but Tate doesn't believe that and presses Mackie to give her some answers. How can he do that though, when he doesn't even know what he really is himself?

The relationships that Mackie has are the strongest part of the book. My favorite one being Mackie's relationship with his sister Emma, but his friends also were top notch. What also was done well was the feel of the oppressive cloud that Gentry has over it's head. You can tell the secrets are being buried, but no matter how hard the people try, the secrets bubble up to the surface again.

Now, I wasn't feeling the chemistry between Mackie and Tate at first. I kept wondering why Mackie even liked her, but as the story progresses the romance between them does get better. Then there is this scene where the "ugly" things undergound play a concert and I'm assuming you were suppose to feel the music and just how great it was. I guess I'm not that intuitive because I tried but I couldn't get it. All I kept thinking was, "Ok, so they play really good and..." Those are little irks though because I could understand Mackie. He tries so hard to be normal, and aches to be like everyone else, but he knows deep down he won't be able to do that. Along the way he comes to learn that people do actually love him despite and because of what he is.

The cover is very fitting to the book, and I think it's interesting how the author put old superstitions into pratical ways it would hurt a person like Mackie. I'm not sure, but it looks like there might be a series. Either way the story can stand on it's own. Just so people will know, there is teen drinking and some profanity.

Get lost in the world of ugly things, but coming out you might realize maybe, just maybe, they aren't as ugly as they seem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

Quotes Cara Liked

Brenna Yovanoff
“They?" he said, sounding apprehensive.
"Me. They're like me."
"Don't be a jackass," Roswell said, but not meanly. "No one's like you.”
Brenna Yovanoff, The Replacement

12/06/2010 page 107
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Pratz Ohh! I put this on my Christmas list. How is it?

Cara I actually haven't cracked the book open yet... but I've been hearing so many good things about it. I'll make sure to tell you what I think;)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Pratz That'd be awesome! Thanks.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael I WANT TO READ THIS. Just bring it over to Michigan when you're done. ;D

message 5: by Cara (last edited Dec 03, 2010 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara hahahaha:D I'll just mosey on over there...when ever I go from Kansas to Michigan:) Actually never been. Besides I have checked out from the library, gotta turn it in a week! I can't believe that is going to be hard for me, you know with finals and all that.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael It's nothing worth your while, believe me.

Isn't that awful? School has ruined my reading schedule. It's usually like, "Oh, a week? I can finish four books or so." Now it takes me a month to read one. Haha.

Cara Same here, not much to look at. Hahahahahahah yeah I hope it won't be taking a month this time. I've heard so many good things about this and it has a male protagonist which I don't read of too much, so it should be a nice change.

oıɔoɹ/rocio♥ Oooh, sounds good :P Tell me how it goes?

Cara Sure will:)

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Ok so I just posted a review on it and for the most part I really did like it. I was kind of disappointed on the romance front, but the story is pretty original and the character of Mackie is simply heartbreaking and real. So definitely recommended.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash Haha!:D That's so cool! I never know how people do that.

oıɔoɹ/rocio♥ Cara wrote: "Ok so I just posted a review on it and for the most part I really did like it. I was kind of disappointed on the romance front, but the story is pretty original and the character of Mackie is simpl..."

sweetness! but romance front was bad, huh?
*goes to read review*

message 14: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Michael that is sooooooooooooooo awesome:D I don't know how to do that either...

@ Rocio-Yeah the romance wasn't what I expected but don't get me wrong it gets good but at first I wasn't feeling it. Towards the end though I did.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael What isn't awesome about Dumbledore giving you a round of applause?! :D

message 16: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Nothing obvioulsy:) Thanks for posting it up, like I said super cool.

oıɔoɹ/rocio♥ Cara wrote: "Michael that is sooooooooooooooo awesome:D I don't know how to do that either...

kk imma read it! ;)