Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com's Reviews > Thunderball

Thunderball by Ian Fleming

May 25, 2010

bookshelves: 2016

"Thunderball", the ninth Bond novel, is the first of the "Blofeld Trilogy" (continued with "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and concluded with "You Only Live Twice" intercepted by "The Spy Who Loved me").

The novel begins with M, MI6's head, sending James Bond, our hero, to a two week vacation in a health clinic due to poor health caused by lots of drinking and smoking sixty cigarettes a day.

Of course, nothing for our hero goes smoothly and his vacation is smudged by an assassination attempt by one of the other guests who just happen to be a member of the Red Lightning Tong criminal organization from Macau.

Bond feels better when returning to London, following a better diet and smoking less, only to find out that SPECTRE, headed by Ernst Stavro Blofeld, hired a Royal Air Force pilot named Petacchi to hijack some bombers with two nuclear bombs on board and fly them to the Bahamas where Emilio Largo (Blofeld's second in command) is waiting on his yacht.

Petacci is killed and the Americans and British launch operation Thunderball to recover the missing nukes assigns Bond, on a hunch) to the Bahamas where he meets his old CIA friend Felix Leiter. While in Nassau Bond meets our villains, villainesses and other characters while solving the mystery and saving the world.

I found "Thunderball" to be very enjoyable and well written. The novel is part mystery, part thriller, funny, charming and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunderball.

05/03/2016 marked as: read