Lutfi Turan's Reviews > The Night Sessions

The Night Sessions by Ken MacLeod

32039875

liked it

It has been long time in my mind that in the future, which is not so far from today, religious people would be the minority and this minority would be subjected to the suppression to some level. So the book caught a good idea to start with and it does not distress the reader with an endless secularism-religion debate. Like many have already said it is between a crime and science-fiction book which is OK. But I have to say in both genres the book has some flaws.
As a detective story the story is missing mystery and twists you would expect in such a book. It is more like a chasing a culprit rather than solving a mystery. There are many unrelated terms and characters in the story. We hear about gasprom and ugly Russian capitalism in every 20-30 pages but they never come to make a real place in the book except being mentioned. There was a werewolf appearing time to time without a significant role in the flow of events. Why was he there? What was his relation with the other people? How did he become as he was are all unanswered. As I said there is not any surprising event or twist in the book. Everyone is open, hiding nothing and revealing themselves as soon as they are approached. We see a character speaking on the phone with someone, just an ordinary person he met a year before in a pub, has not contacted since then and meanwhile taking blames and speaking like he is in a police interrogation. We have agents disguised as tourists or she-males and just in hours they reveal their true identity to the people they met. I try to think in the future world there won't be any privacy and any secrets but it still does not help me to imagine a world with this sort of openness.
For the science-fiction part we have sonatas and space elevators in the book, but you have to come to the last chapter to understand what they are really for. I was not after a hard science-fiction when I picked this book but a few sentences of explanation in the beginning for the logic of these artifacts would do fine.
There are also many things related to the Scotland. I had a translation of the book with me while reading it in its original language and without the translators notes I would be probably lost in all these Scottish historical figures, religious sects and etc.
To sum up a readable book with an original idea. I would be more happy if the book concludes saying something different than these bloody religious people deserve everything bad done to them.
Good reads.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Sessions.

September 1, 2014 – Started Reading