Whit's Reviews > Sins of the Father

Sins of the Father by Andrea Randall

Read 2 times

A great read!

I'm stingy with my stars. Only the really good ones get four stars. But this is a five star book.
I know, you're thinking, "Jesus Freaks...the title tells me all I need to know." But you're wrong. This is a story about a girl struggling with who she is, with finding where she belongs, with getting to know her birth father, with wanting him in her life, and yes, struggling with her religion. Religion is there. Sometimes it's very there. But it's never the in your face, beat you over the head kind.
It's so easy to relate to Kennedy. We've all been her at some point in our lives, questioning everything, and then questioning why we're questioning. We've all struggled to fit in and find our place. It's fun to watch Kennedy try to separate the liberal Kennedy and the Kennedy attending the uber conservative Christian school. It's even better when the two collide on campus.
You fall in love with characters. You wish some would get run down by a bus. You nod your head in agreement with some of the judgments Kennedy makes. You gasp in horror at some of the things fellow students do. You smile at the friendships that blossom up unexpectedly.
There's more than meets the eye in this story. Don't judge a book by it's cover (er, title)

I do have to say something about the religion aspect. I am quick to tell anyone and everyone that I lost my faith a very long time ago. Anyone that knows me knows my feelings, especially on organized religion. But there were points during this book (far more than I care to admit) that made me stop. Made me rethink my stand on things. Sometimes my emotions ran high, and I had to stop reading, tears pouring down my face. It awoke...something, something I thought long dead, in me.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unexpected as it was.

Bottom line, it's a very intriguing story, with many twist and turns, and well worth the time.spent reading it.
I can not wait for the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Father.

Finished Reading
August 26, 2014 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 26, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 31, 2014 – Shelved
August 31, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)