Lloyd's Reviews > Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories

Planetary, Volume 1 by Warren Ellis

May 24, 2010

bookshelves: comic-book-graphic-novel, warren-ellis, 2000s
Read from May 24, 2010 to October 26, 2011

What do Tarzan, Godzilla, The Spectre, Chinese action films, The Fantastic Four, and The Hulk all have in common? Planetary. That's what...

The "high concept" of this book is nothing short of breathtaking. It is that our trio of heroes in Planetary, an international organization, are "archaeologists of the impossible".

What does that mean?

Ellis has taken on burrowing through 100 years of pop culture in the form of a comic book. We meet characters that oddly resemble familiar faces (mostly of the comic book variety) and find out where they're hidden, their secrets, and their "true" histories.

Ellis also has sprinkled in bits of commentary about these characters, some of the ideals their creators had in mind while producing them, and the ramifications of their existences.

This book deals with the world of pop culture as though it's really happened and digs beneath its surface, looking for all the nasty little hidden things.

Though (I think) Ellis has said that this series is NOT meant to be like "The X-Files", the protagonists dig their way through individual landscapes and beings very much like Mulder and Scully in this first trade. There are all sorts of revelations and many unexplained, enigmatic findings.

Truly an experience rather than just a work of fiction...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetary, Volume 1.

05/24/2010 page 1
0.63% "Alright, Mr. Ellis... I've got thi complete series (all the trades) in my grubby little hands now. Let's dance..."