Mina's Reviews > 13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time

13 Things That Don't Make Sense by Michael Brooks

May 24, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction-2010, audiobooks

My only complaint about this book is that its title is misleading. Brooks does present a thorough and interesting exploration of thirteen things that don't make sense - but nearly all of them are things that the majority of general interest readers likely couldn't make sense of at all. The content is not as accessible as, and rather more technical than, the intriguing title suggests. Then again - if the title weren't so simple and direct, I probably wouldn't have looked into the book.

The book examines an interesting range of scientific anomalies in an engaging way with credible background information. I'm of two minds about the order of presentation; on the one hand, the early chapters about grand-scale issues in cosmology, astronomy and theoretical physics allowed for useful comparisons in the later topics, but on the other, the latter topics of the purpose of sex, life, and death are rather more relatable. If I'd been reading this book rather than listening to it, the heavy first few chapters would probably have discouraged me from slogging through to the later more scintillating ones.

As for the narration of this audio version, I found it excellent. Well-paced and compelling to listen to even when the content swerved to tedium.

Overall, though, the book's content was definitely satisfying and informative. If you've any interest at all in the ups and downs and traps of scientific progress, I'd say this is recommended reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 Things That Don't Make Sense.