Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > A Prince of Earth

A Prince of Earth by Steven J. Carroll

Aug 31, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy

I won a copy of this through the Goodreads First Reads Program.

If Timothy Hayfield knew what kinds of secrets his grandmother, Mattie, had been keeping from him, and the danger and adventure waiting for him during what he thought was going to be a regular summer vacation in Mayfield, then he might have stayed behind.

Who knew what kind of decisions could lead to adventures in the unknown parts of his family's estate. He quickly learns that worlds, kings, and battles hang in the balance if only he wishes it, as a Prince of Earth.

This enchanting middle-grade fairy tale would be perfect for young readers. The premise behind the story is so cool and fascinating. It's really a lot of fun to be immersed in these worlds. Book two definitely relies on the reader already being familiar with the story of the first book, so I really recommended that you read In The Window Room first.

Like I said of the first book, I'll say for this too. I really wish the narrator wouldn't break in as often as he does, in the text or through footnotes, throughout the story. It took me a little while to get back into this writing style, but the story itself is solid.

Overall, this is a fantastic return to a faraway world perfect for middle-grade fantasy fans.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prince of Earth.

August 31, 2014 – Shelved