Charley Harpole's Reviews > The Rules of Survival

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin

May 24, 2010

liked it

This is a story of a teenage boy named Matthew, writing letters to his little sisters, Emmy about how abusive and mentally disturbed their mother was. He writes about his hopes of being rescued by Murdock, their mother's ex-boyfriend who she stock and harasses. Then when, salvation finally comes from his Aunt Bobby and father, Ben, He has still not fully accepted and trust what they did for him and his siblings.

The Rules of Survival reminded me a lot about the book A BOY CALLED IT by David Pelzer which had a great influence on what I want to become, career wise. This book, I find sad because Matthew never fully trust anybody and then he realized that he did not want to be rescued in a normal sense. But instead he wanted his mother killed. This is actually fairly common for children in these situations. Overall, I liked this book. It is not the normal Adult Literature but I find that they could be more insightful then other books. It lets you into a world that most kids do not know, the world of abuse, or it gives children the chance to connect with someone who is going through or went through the same thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules of Survival.