valee's Reviews > The Lost Duke of Wyndham

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

2320890

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-romance

Well, definitely not what I expected. I really wanted to like this book because I'm a huge fan of this author. Seriously, I never thought it would be possible to find a book of hers which wasn't amazing. So, JQ, WTF?? I don't get it, seriously, what were you thinking?

The beginning was boring as hell. It took me a week to get past through the first 5 chapters. But what was worst, is the fact that the topic was so surreal that I just wanted to burn the book up, I mean, a highwayman who magically becomes a duke, seriously? So lame! I didn't care for the plot, not even a bit. And also there were too many dialogs and not many information and descriptions. Normally, this would not be a problem, but in here it was because the dialogs were a bit annoying and not entertaining at all...

The two main characters were ok, I ended up quite liking them at the end. Jack had quite an interesting and dashing personality and I learn to grow fond of the heroine. But nothing too good to recommend, just bearable. And when it comes to the rest of the characters, well... that was the worst part of the book. There were not many other characters, just the poor guy who ended up not being the duke, his fiancée who ended up alone and a very annoying old lady who I couldn't stand. Why would someone even create a character like hers?

It did have a nice ending, that's why I'm giving a 2.5 rating. But I really can't understand why so many gave such high ratings to this book. IMHO it lacks everything which makes JQ novels so entertaining. I definitely not recommend this book. I even wish someone had told me all this before so I would't have bought both books in the series.And excuses like "maybe I wasn't in the mood for this genre" don't apply as I read another book from this author at the same time.

I will be reading Thomas' book soon, but just because I have this annoying obsession that won't let me start a series without finishing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

May 24, 2010 – Shelved
May 24, 2010 – Shelved as: historical-romance
May 26, 2010 – Started Reading
May 28, 2010 –
0.0% "Not the best I have read from this author..."
June 6, 2010 –
0.0% "Wow I'm having huge problems finishing this one. I always finish books, but with this one it is becoming a very difficult chore."
June 8, 2010 –
page 108
June 15, 2010 –
page 310
83.56% "It did got better. Still my least fav of JQ so far."
June 15, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 It sounds like you liked it a little more than I did, Vale. This was a good review and a disappointing book for me to read. I am glad her other books have been better!

valee How is it possible I liked it more than what you did? lol. I mean, I almost didn't finish it. I'm glad I did though, the ending wasn't so bad. But the first half of th book, well, better not talk about it. Let's just leave this book as a big oops from JQ, because seriously I have read many of her books and never till today have found a bad one.

valee Oh, thanks for liking the review Ally. =)

message 4: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 You are welcome, Vale! I didn't finish this book and it is one of the only ones I can say that about. I don't like not finishing books, but I just couldn't do it! LOL!

valee Yeah, it took me a while. I almost put it down. But the end was nice.

Laura the Highland Hussy okay, I started it today, and it is soo repetative from the second book (which I read first, oops!) that I'm in serious danger of not finishing the book! And it's not bad, just too much of the same! And I liked the second one. But I feel like I already know what's going to happen, so I'm bored now.
And I agree about the dowager duchess-mean lady, why create a character that unlikeable when she's not the villain?

valee lol, I didn´t like the first one at all. The second one even though it had the same plot, was much better for me. But that´s because I liked the plot of having to dukes and deciding what would happen. Also I liked the romantic story of the 2nd one. As I liked the 2nd one better I decided to give me best thoughts of the 2 books to the 2nd,lol.

Laura the Highland Hussy I just hated that Thomas lost his whole life. You know? He wasn't just a duke, but he was good at being a duke. It felt like a hollow HEA for me. So now I'm mid-way through the first book, and I'm not such a fan of the book

valee nah, neither I. I gave 2 stars to the first and 3 to the 2nd one,lol.

Laura the Highland Hussy I just posted my review...2 stars as well