Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

May 24, 2010

I’m not a huge reader of the feel good animal stories but I do like true crime and forensics and search and rescue dogs sort of fit into that. My one great fear is that I’ll like the animal and think the owner is a big jerk and heaven help you if you say that in a review. People will go berserk. No fears here. Susannah is both knowledgeable about her field and down to earth and likeable.

There’s a bit of non-linear going on here which was a little disconcerting at first but she gets around to weaving the story together better. She was working with her search and rescue team as a non-dog handler role. Finally she goes to get a dog of her own, a golden retriever named Puzzle. She takes the reader through Puzzle’s laborious training which is much lengthier than I expected. Puzzle is a sweet lady. Intermixed with that as other cases with her companion’s dogs.

It was interesting what a SAR dog has to go through and all that they are capable of. If you like dogs, like the search and rescue work aspects, I think you’ll really like this. She also has Pomeranians and has a lot of stories about them and the cat and how puppy Puzzle fits in. I enjoyed this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.