BG Josh's Reviews > Starter Set

Starter Set by James Wyatt

did not like it
bookshelves: rpg

this edition is less of a game and more of marketing exercise. WotC has designed 5e as a snare for players who are osr or still playing older editions. I almost gave this book 2 stars because I know not to buy the others.

it is sad that WotC has chosen to treat it's customers with complete contempt. oh well.

if you "had" to get a game anyway 5th still belongs in the "don't bother bin". 3rd or 4th edition (or cyclopedia) are just as good. other games would likely be more appealing. savage worlds, burning wheel or torchbearer, for example.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starter Set.

Started Reading
August 30, 2014 – Shelved
August 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jonathan S. Harbour That's a ridiculous assertion. What contempt--giving players an excellent gaming experience? Don't be a troll.

message 2: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean I agree with Jon. You're not even discussing the product, just dissing the company!

Also, Jon and I are best friends.

BG Josh First off, "troll" is a poor word choice. Troll is a term to describe someone who thrives on negative attention. An accurate assessment of a product is hardly that. My motivation is purely altruistic. (Calling someone a troll is rapidly approaching Godwin status for usefulness)

Jon, If you think the book is worth your time, well... twilight is a bestselling novel.

Anyway. Its not my job to say why the game does not work, its the old case of proving a negative. The burden is on the supporters to prove the game is good. So go for it.

As for Sean, I am sorry for being unclear. I think WotC is a horrible company because they released this objectively terrible game. Hope that clears it up.

message 4: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star