Angie's Reviews > Sons of Niall

Sons of Niall by Daniel Duffield

Aug 30, 2014

The first book in this series called Niall and the Irish Pirates was the first self published book I had read. I was really looking forward to the second book so I was very excited when I received the book from the author. I thought the story was quite engaging. The books transitions well back into the story where the first book left off. There is a fun map at the beginning of the book that helped me keep a picture in my mind of where events where taking place.

This books introduces much more history into the religions of the time, including the introduction of Christianity. We get to follow a few characters along who discover more about themselves. The main character is Dovsfield who is the son of Niall (though he doesn't know it). I enjoyed reading about Dovsfield and his bravery. He is a great man who has integrity and honor. In the book we even get to follow some adventures of a sword. Yes .. there is a sword that bounces from one owner to another, the original owner being Niall. Seeing where the sword would pop up next was entertaining. I liked that there is also a strong woman warrior in the story, she is Native American. I was surprised to see a Native American enter the story but it does work. It was really interesting to read about different religions mixing and the hardships people would endure to fight for their religion of choice. Of course.. the book has a little fantasy elements as well. Witches and druids included. I think having the fantasy in the novel brings so much more enjoyment into my reading experience.

I could tell there were many improvements in this book over the first book... plus this didn't feel like the typical middle of the road book you find in a series. I can't stand the ones that I feel like nothing was moved on in the story line and this one for sure moves things along! I didn't expect there to be another book in the series but the end of Son of Niall is left up in the air so I know a third book is coming. I look forward to reading the installment. I really do recommend this book to those looking for a quick read especially if you like supporting independent authors. The author even signed it and made it out to me which was a great treat!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sons of Niall.

August 30, 2014 – Started Reading
August 30, 2014 – Shelved
September 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Sep 16, 2014 07:43PM) (new)

Daniel Duffield Angie,

Thanks for your review. I really appreciated the review of the first in the series as it helped me improve on the sequel "Sons of Niall". I am hopeful others will read and review my books. I am always open to comments and critique as my goal is to improve my writing. I strive to write stories that people enjoy. So hearing that you enjoyed reading my books is the satisfaction that I as an author strive for. For your information, your assumption is correct. I am writing a third book in the Niall series and have completed the first chapter. It generally takes 3 to 4 months for me to write a book, depending on how busy my schedule is. Thanks again for your review on Goodreads! Daniel Duffield

Angie Daniel wrote: "Angie,

I can't wait for the next book!!