Julie's Reviews > Vanishing Acts

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

May 24, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, own
Read in June, 2008 — I own a copy

This is a pretty formulaic Picoult book. She tackles many issues in this book including kidnapping, alcoholism, memory, being a parent, etc. The novel is told from multiple perspectives: Delia, who finds out her father kidnapped her as a four-year-old; Eric, Delia’s alcoholic fiancé who happens to be a lawyer and defends her father; Andrew, Delia’s father who spends a majority of the novel in jail; Fitz, Eric and Delia’s best friend; and Elise, Delia’s mother who has not seen her daughter in twenty-eight years. In true Picoult fashion, the sequence of events plays itself out: Andrew gets arrested and sent to Arizona to await trial, Delia, Eric, and their daughter relocate there temporarily, Fitz tags along and creates friction, Delia meets her mother, whom she thought was dead, and a trial begins, with Eric as the defense attorney.

Like all of Jodi’s books, I was captivated and got though Vanishing Acts very quickly. It wasn’t quite as engaging as some of her others, but I still enjoyed it. The one aspect I can say she could have done without was Andrew’s narrative from jail. I understand the need to convey what a deplorable situation he was in, but I found it hard to believe that a sixty-year-old man would willingly engage in crime so freely with his fellow prisoners, even being a party to their Crystal Meth smuggling schemes. I liked the change of scenery in this book. For once, Picoult takes the reader outside of New England into a somewhat mystical Southwest. The conclusion left a few mysteries, but led the reader to form their own conclusions in regard to the truth. This is a book that any Jodi fan will enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing Acts.