Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > The Ice Princess

The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

liked it
bookshelves: audio

Thanks to Stieg Larssen, there has been tremendous interest in Swedish crime fiction. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one that actually measures up. While Lackberg has created a moderately entertaining start to a series here (I particularly liked the middle-aged protagonists Erica and Patrik for their chemistry and frailties), there were some issues that bothered me that kept me from really investing.

First, it started off very slow for me. Yes, the murder is right there, laid out in front of you, from page one. Yet the pace was rambling, and there was too much deliberate set-up. Possibly this won't be the case going forward, now that the foundation has been laid.

The victim was discussed at length throughout the book, but I never really came to care for her. Nobody really seemed to be all that upset over her death, or knew her very well, even her husband and co-workers. I know there were good reasons for this, but it distances the reader as well.

Every author has their style for investigating and revealing clues. In this novel, Lackberg tells us about how characters would find clues, have epiphanies, and ultimately solve the mystery, but would keep it from the reader until after the fact. As in..."After seeing what was written on that paper, Patrik now knew who the killer was", and no details of that statement would be revealed until the next chapter. I find that to be a little bit too gimmicky for my taste, and just a couple of steps shy of the BS that Nesbo started to pull on us late in the Harry Hole series. I don't like it when authors try to play with me. That could be just my personal taste.

All that said, I did like the characters enough to want to read the next installment. I will see how this author's mystery writing skills progress before I determine if I will see the series all the way through.

David Thorn narrated the audio of this book. I'd never heard him before, and he wasn't bad. I did have an issue, however, when the story skipped from one scene to the next, as there were no breaks (dates, chapters, etc.) to indicate what was going on. Thorn's vocalizations all sounded the same, so it was hard for me to figure out the who and the what for a paragraph or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Princess.

August 30, 2014 – Started Reading