Jenni Lea's Reviews > Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities

Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities by Lyn Gala

bookshelves: favorites, sci-fi-aliens-and-whatnot, bmbr

Brilliant!

You've all heard the term 'Death by Chocolate', right? Well, this was 'Death by Ondry'.

I cannot express how much I love Ondry. He may be my #1 most loved character out of any book I have read, ever. He is pretty much the most perfect specimen of male and he's not even human! I'm seriously thinking of having T-shirts made that say 'I ♥ Ondry' on them. I love him that much.

Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities is not your standard romance. Sure, there are romantic elements and you get to see how much the love Liam and Ondry have for each other progresses but the story doesn't have the romance at the forefront. Don't get me wrong, this story is romantic as hell but it's done in such a subtle way as to make the reader not even notice until they are suddenly hit with a shot directly to the feels.

The characters and world building are absolutely brilliant. Brilliant! Lyn Gala knows subtlety and she wields her mighty pen well. The plot is intricate, the characters multi-dimensional. It was fascinating! Ms. Gala uses her words so well that she was able to get me to feel disdain for humans - my own species! I sympathized more with the Rownt than I did my own kind. Now that's writing!

I would love to see more from this world, even if it doesn't have Liam and my Ondry as the main characters. I am fascinated by everything about Prarownt and its people. I want more!

Oh, and because I cannot say it enough here it is one more time.

I ♥ Ondry

********************************************************

Post-read, pre-review:

Here are some thoughts to tide you over:

1. brilliant, brilliant writing

2. I ♥ Ondry

3. reminds me of Anne McCaffrey's Catteni series. <--- highest form of praise IMO

4. I no longer think very highly of the human race. We are an arrogant people. >:[

5. I ♥ Ondry

6. I want to move to Prarownt

7. I ♥ Ondry

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities.

August 29, 2014 – Shelved
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: omg-cant-wait-to-read
September 12, 2014 – Started Reading
September 12, 2014 –
1.0% "EPIC UNICORN BUDDY READ!!!"
September 12, 2014 –
10.0% "Pillow Nest!\n \n "
September 13, 2014 –
32.0% "Best. Chapter. Ever!"
September 13, 2014 –
47.0% "I have a bad feeling something is amiss. I just know something is gonna go wrong soon. *nervous*"
September 14, 2014 –
61.0% "It is very telling of how good the writing is here that I am compelled to sit here and spout 'damned humans!' every few minutes."
September 14, 2014 –
74.0% "This is brilliant!"
September 14, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
September 14, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi-aliens-and-whatnot
September 14, 2014 – Shelved as: bmbr
September 14, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 2: by Ann (last edited Sep 14, 2014 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Love ya Jem! I really just wish I knew how you felt about Ondry.

Rosa, really You can't even KNOW the depth of my jealousy. YOU. CAN'T. KNOW. Very glad to hear it's brilliant though. :)

Jenni Lea It was fantastic! It was more sci-fi than romance, though the romance is there. I was fascinated by all the talks about linguistics.

Jenni Lea Ann wrote: "Love ya Jem! I really just wish I knew how you felt about Ondry."

That's easy. I ♥ him. Sorry for being so vague earlier. Won't happen again.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Jenni Lea wrote: "Ann wrote: "Love ya Jem! I really just wish I knew how you felt about Ondry."

That's easy. I ♥ him. Sorry for being so vague earlier. Won't happen again."

Much appreciated ;)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I think you've summed it up nicely except leaving out Liam. >:(

SheReadsALot I'll take him! *sneaks off quietly with Palteia in tow*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ *clears throat*
Not so fast, Baby.

SheReadsALot *leaves a sparkly treat for distraction*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Cute. I'm holding the other end of the nictel.

*smug grin*

SheReadsALot Is that Colby wearing no pants? It is! Drop the nictel, no one gets hurt.

Jenni Lea *subtly backs away with Ondry in tow while everyone fights over Liam*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Oh, Baby doesn't fool me. I already saw her gushing over Ondry. You two duke it out. Liam & I will be over here in the pillow nest.

SheReadsALot >:P

I want both to be honest.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Greedy Baby is greedy.

Jenni Lea You know, I think that pillow nest is big enough for all of us. Care to share?

SheReadsALot I can share. And I do like pillow nests.

message 19: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  This is the first I've heard of a sequel.

description

Jenni Lea It was amazing! You're gonna love it!

message 21: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Yes! I can't wait.

Adrianamae I want this one so much. It has everything that I like in a book, especially since scify mm is one of my favorite genres.

Jenni Lea TODAY IS RELEASE DAY!

message 24: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Jenni Lea wrote: "TODAY IS RELEASE DAY!"

Awesome! Oh happy day!

message 25: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Now to try to find where I can buy it.

message 26: by MLE (last edited Sep 23, 2014 11:04AM) (new) - added it

MLE  I can't find it!?!

Cancel that I found it.

Jenni Lea MLE wrote: "I can't find it!?!

Cancel that I found it."

YAY! Happy reading. :)

message 28: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Jenni Lea wrote: "MLE wrote: "I can't find it!?!

Cancel that I found it."

YAY! Happy reading. :)"

Very happy reading. I think I'm going to re-read the first one before I read this one.

Jenni Lea Good idea. The 2nd one made me want to read the 1st one again just because I loved it so much. :)

message 30: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Jenni Lea wrote: "Good idea. The 2nd one made me want to read the 1st one again just because I loved it so much. :)"

It might go that way too. I haven't decided yet.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ Death by Ondry!! Lol

* A Reader Obsessed * I'm with you - I <3 Ondry too! Sigh.