Alice McVeigh's Reviews > Home Thoughts from a Man

Home Thoughts from a Man by Daniel Ogilvie

This is a fascinating journey from a thoughtful British engineer (and excellent writer) who--dissatisfied by what the UK has to offer him--takes off on a journey of adventure. He tries living in Singapore, Canada and Thailand, to hilarious effect, especially with regard to governmental and corporate inefficiency, ex-pat life, and his Thai wife's sentimental penchant for bringing home pregnant stray dogs.

Ogilvie, for all his turning his back on Britain, still boasts a dry-as-a-bone British wit, and part of his saga (he is now a successful Thai-based entrepeneur) make laugh-out-loud reading. This is NOT your average disillusioned-Brit-abroad book: he has trenchant and well-expressed views on cultural differences, relationships, and food. Here's an example, on a local Thai chef, whose husband and she had regular dust-ups: 'Interestingly, the spiciness of her salads is in direct proportion to how annoyed she is with her husband. . . On one of these occasions I made the mistake of ordering her yum moo manao; and while she and my wife chatted about ways to kill a husband I single-handedly worked my way through a dish whish had already burned a hole through its plate and was half-way through the stone-slab table by the time I'd finished.'

Recommended especially to those, like me, who have lived abroad, though I've never met the author in my old haunts (Singapore, Burma, Bangkok). Or just to those with a strong sense of the ridiculous and an inquiring mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Thoughts from a Man.

August 29, 2014 – Started Reading