Twyla's Reviews > The Wandering Soul Murders

The Wandering Soul Murders by Gail Bowen

bookshelves: read-in-2012

You know when you see a review on the cover and it says "... riveting ..." but they don't tell you the words before and after? Like: It could have said "This book is not riveting. Its crap", but they leave all that out? This book is definitely "...riveting ..." And I'm intentionally leaving out the words on either side. Not because they match what I said just now, but because they need to be left out.
Its not a book you can't live without, but it has its endearing qualities.
It is not a suspenseful book. Everything proceeds calmly and fluidly. There is absolute darkness and evil at the end, but even it is a calm thing. There are no moments of excitement or danger. Its like floating through a dream where you know already that you die at the end and want to skip over all the drama of actually feeling any of it happen to you. But not in a disociated way, if that makes sense.
The character Taylor is pretty charicaturized and over the top. I didn't like that. The "bad guys" are in the heirarchy where you'd expect them to be; 'the people at the top are always the corrupt ones' sort of thing.
It is a good book, don't get me wrong.
I am suprised that ctv picked it up instead of cbc as it seems more their kind of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wandering Soul Murders.

Quotes Twyla Liked

Gail Bowen
“Its an onion tree. Every time Sam takes off an onion, two more will grow in its place.”
Gail Bowen, The Wandering Soul Murders