Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Love Life

Love Life by Rob Lowe

Aug 28, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: audio

I was pleasantly surprised when I listened to Rob Lowe's last book (in audiobook form) "Stories I Only Tell My Friends". Lowe narrates his books himself, and he is very charming and tells a great story, drops A LOT of famous names, and gives you a good sense of the miles this guy has traveled. I honestly didn't think much of him before that, but in hearing his story, you appreciate his eternal optimism, his ability to reinvent himself, and his determination to fight his demons. I didn't hesitate to pick up his second foray into the Memoir genre.

This one was pretty similar to the last, but maybe the novelty has worn off a little. This time, he has a little more focus on his personal life, his battle to stay sober, his wife and his kids, and his process of growing older and wiser. I liked hearing about him coaching his sons' sports teams, the trauma of his oldest going to college, and his wife's unwavering loyalty. He also seems to have a good grip on life in general, and is very balanced. But he still told lots of stories from his years in the trenches and lessons he has learned. I felt that the book was disjointed however. He was ALL OVER THE PLACE in his topics...almost to the point where I had to check and make sure my iPod wasn't skipping chapters because of an accidental shuffle. It works when you are shooting the shit with your friends over a glass of wine, but in a book it is a little confusing.

As in the first book, he narrates this one, and it couldn't be a better choice. He delivers his story with heart and a candidness that not everyone can pull off. The cherry on top? An original piano score written and performed by his younger son at the end of the book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Life.

August 28, 2014 – Started Reading