Anita's Reviews > The Russian Concubine

The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall

3202140

bookshelves: adult, romance

What an excellent book! I loved the characters, the stories, the connections. This takes place pre-revolutionary China. I found reading about culture, about the politics and traditions of the time very interesting (however I'm sure there are inaccuracies of course). I found it especially amusing how the English and Russians referred to the Chinese as "barbarians," and the Chinese referred to all foreigners as the same. And even more so, I could understand how each drew their opinions . It was sad, too, how everyone was after their own agenda and rarely truly cared about anyone or anything beyond their opinion or them self. It did make the main characters stand out more.

Lydia is 16 years old, and acts like a strong-headed 16 year old; making bad decisions and doing crazy things. There were many times when I was thinking, "what in the world are you doing?!??! Are you crazy?" She and Chang make a unique, but beautiful union. I like how they are drawn to each other despite their cultural and social differences.

This book is more graphic in violence than it is in the sexual nature, so beware. It's not horrible, just brutal at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Russian Concubine.

Started Reading