John Otto's Reviews > The Flying Troutmans

The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

May 22, 2010

liked it

Although a Mennonite writer, Toews has no identifiable Mennonite themes or characters in this book. It's about the troubled life of a family in which one member, the mother of two children, 16, and 11, is mentally ill. Her sister flies back from Paris because of a failed love and winds up finding meaning in her life by taking the children on a cross-country trip to find their father. They have lots of adventures, none of them particularly original, and lots of insights, none of them particularly insightful. I am very critical of the endings in most books, and the ending of this book impresses me mainly for being even lamer than usual. I gave the book three stars because the writer is a good technician.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flying Troutmans.

John Otto Although a Mennonite writer, Toews has no identifiable Mennonite themes or characters in this book. It's about the troubled life of a family in which one member, the mother of two children, 16, and 11, is mentally ill. Her sister flies back from Canada because of a failed love and winds up finding meaning in her life by taking the children on a cross-country trip to find their father. They have lots of adventures, none of them particularly original, and lots of insights, none of them particularly insightful. I am very critical of the endings in most books, and the ending of this book impresses me mainly for being even lamer than usual. I gave the book three stars because the writer is a good technician.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca You haven't convinced me to read it although I very much liked her book "A Complicated Kindness." I have a problem too, with the way a book ends. It seems that a weakness in a book can be redeemed any where else other than a weakness at the end. It is unrecoverable.

Rosalee Otto I loved the humor, which kept it from being as bleak as the situation warranted. It hit too close to home for me, though.