Michael's Reviews > The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome

The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer

May 21, 2010

bookshelves: history, 2012

Conquer other people any way you can before they conquer you. That includes your detractors in your own land. Try not to get poisoned, stabbed, or offed by your closest family member, spouse, or confidant. Act crazy and you're sure to meet this end faster than the others that have come before you. When in doubt kill them first. Rome eventually falls. The End.

This is the only book I've read on ancient history that wasn't forced on me by an educational institution so I have no comparison, but it was a well written summary. That's exactly what I was looking for and what I thought it would be. I suppose it deserves five stars based on presentation and writing, but I admit I was bored at times due to the tedious predictability and repetitiveness of the human race, which isn't the author's fault.

I did enjoy the moments of incredible brutality. Not because I'm a sadist, but because many of those stories are unfathomable. I just can't believe that people did these things to other people. Sadly, I think many people today would not act any different with that much power if they thought they could get away with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of the Ancient World.

May 21, 2010 – Shelved
May 21, 2010 – Shelved as: history
December 10, 2011 – Started Reading
December 16, 2011 –
2.0% "Some things have changed a lot since 1700bc, and some things have not. A wife's letter to her husband, Zimri-lim. "Be sure to take care of yourself when you are in the full rays of the sun!...Wear the robe and cloak that I have made for you!...My heart has been greatly alarmed; write me and tell me that you are safe!""
January 11, 2012 –
10.0% "So aliens building the pyramids theory is not likely. There was a progression of documented failures. Unless the aliens saw they needed help and showed up. ;-)"
February 4, 2012 –
30.0% "Let me sum up the history of the ancient world. People trying to kill people for more power or resources. Sound familiar?"
February 9, 2012 –
50.0% "I think all nations should implement a policy that they had in Sparta in 650bc. If the King wanted to go to war, he had to be the first one out leading the charge, and the last one in on a retreat. Might make you think twice about invading someone. Not practical, but it sounds good in theory. :0)"
February 25, 2012 –
60.0% "I got nothin...same as the last 480 pages read. Oh wait. Rome is now a Republic I think. 500bc or so."
July 9, 2012 –
80.0% "Nero of Rome - "kicked his pregnant wife to death in a rage, and then he had ordered a young boy named Sporus, who bore a resemblance to his dead wife, castrated so that he could marry Sporus in a public ceremony." Wow. That's crazy!"
July 14, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
July 14, 2012 – Finished Reading

StoryTellerShannon Guess I'll skip that one. ;)