Kathy's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

Dec 13, 2007

bookshelves: the-best-books-of-all-time, stephen-king, 3x-read, read-in-2010, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read 3 times. Last read August 1, 2002.

I have read this book twice! And can't wait to read it again! Even if you aren't a Stephen King fan, this book is one of the best ever written!

Ok, this was my third time around with this book and I love it even more! I get so wrapped up with the characters that my heart breaks for them and I cheer them on throughout the book.

With the coming of the "Super Flu" or "Captain Tripps", the world population is severely dwindled down. Those who have survived begin to have dreams....of the "dark Man", "The Walkin Dude", or Mother Abigail. Mother Abigail is 101 years old and still even makes her own bread. Sides are drawn, and a stand must be made! Which side would you be on?

First read: 1988
Second read: 1998
Third read: 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

Quotes Kathy Liked

Stephen King
“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
Stephen King, The Stand

November 1, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010
January 25, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments (showing 1-16)

dateUp arrow    newest »

{erika} High five that we are both reading post-apocalyptic novels at the same time! The Stand is my all time favorite book :] The novel I am currently reading King acknowledged as being a major influence on this work! And so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Kathy What are you reading, {eri}?

{erika} JUST finished reading and writing a quick review for Earth Abides by George R. Stewart. It's quite different from The Stand but there are some similarities that are obvious :]

Kathy I'll have to check it out. Thanks! :)

message 11: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Have you seen the stand mini series on DVD

Kathy Yes, I have and I'm one of the few, I think that really liked it. Sure, alot was left out and a good amount changed....but I did like it. :) Whenever I Have a good block of 6 hours to kill....I love putting that in!

Mike (the Paladin) Kathy, I'm definitely not a King fan, but this is one of a couple of his books I like. Just thought I'd let you know.

message 8: by Kathy (last edited Oct 28, 2010 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy I'm glad you did, Mike! This is one of the books that even when people tell me they don't "do" horror, I'll tell them.....that's fine, but you still have to read The Stand! It's your classic good versus evil epic novel! :)

Mike (the Paladin) I have gripes with it, but it's overall an extremely well done novel (it's one of those odd books where I say, well, I can't really use the word "enjoyed" but it's a good read). I think King came closer to achieving here what he set out to achieve in the Gunslinger series. Of course he ties this and a lot of his other novels into that world but you see what I mean. This is (only my opinion here) his best novel. But, full-disclosure here, as I said, I'm not a King fan.

Kathy This is my favorite of all that I've written of his. I still have a few more to go.

Nathalie Also read this one three times so far. In my teens, early twenties and about a year ago. Loved it each time, each time finding other subjects I could relate to.

Kathy Exactly, Nath, me too! I find new details each time I read it! :)

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Valdez When I wrap up my time travel marathon next year, the first book I read will either be Dublin Murder Squad #1 by Tana French, or The Stand. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, but whenever I read a plot summary of The Stand, it just seems to get more and more ridiculous. I'm dubious about a novel that Hollywood has had every reason to cash in on and adapt but in 30 years, can't figure out a way to make it work. The TV mini-series with Molly Ringwald seemed to bare out some of my concern.

message 2: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Cool review, Kathy :)

Kathy Thanks, Alejandro.

And Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree. The Stand is my favorite book of all time!